Stator cover wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover wiring

Hello out there in Suzuki land I am looking for some input on how to get the 5 phillips screws that hold in the black cable. I have got one out but it seems they are welding in super tight. I am talking the engine covers off to have them polished. I am kinda stuck! Also any input on how to get the shifter cable off to get the square cover off beside the stator cover. I have checked my service manual but no real info on how to. Thanks for any help I really appreciate it. Sincerely Brian

little $20 Impact driver kit is a must when working on bikes. also those aren't phillips heads, actually JIS slightly different but available from ebay. Phillips will work when used with the impact driver, but JIS is better... Good luck, and what bike are you working on???
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If the screws are super tight, all Philips will do is muller the heads. Get the proper JIS impact driver bit for them.
      Also, when attempting to get them out, apply some concentrated localised heat on where the screws go into the casing - the raised long lumps on the engine side of the case. I use a small butane torch for this, the type that is commonly sold as a chef's crisping torch.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/MasterClass...dp/B00TFOZLFG/
      They're available much cheaper than that, that's just an illustration. Since getting them, I've lost count of the number of casing screws, brake caliper bolts, etc, that I'd been able to get out with no drama or risk of shearing the bolt.
      Last edited by Grimly; 11-12-2022, 11:13 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Take a quality, proper fitting screw driver, and give each bolt a good hit, directly in the center, then proceed with the impact wrench. The hit will loose the threads a lot.

Comment

Thank you fellas for the input I am working on a 82 GS1100E The problem I am having the wires are still attached. So I cant lay it on a work bench and pop with a hammer to loosen them. If I get a cheap impact driver from Harbor Freight do they normally come the correct bit? Brian

Comment

the wires from stator eventually have connectors you can unplug. Follow them . You'll eventually come to a spot near the component that is the voltage /rectifier/regulator (the "R/R")

Then you can put the cover on the bench.

I don't have Harbor Freight here (We have "Princess Auto") but I think from limited experience with a couple that most cheapo impact drivers DO have useable bits for bikes. Though they might shatter in hard use. But a 'Vessel" brand is a better bet.

Comment

Yes, they do, I purchased one last year.. You can buy hardened bits that will fit the 1/2" mount anywhere, just in case.

Comment

Thanks so much guys--I think I will try tracing the wires and un connect them so I can get on the bench. One more thing I took my nut off my gearshift lever so I could try and get the cover off. It is not wanting to come off the spline, I am trying to be careful not to mar. Any suggestions on that?? Brian

Comment

After the stator cover screws are removed and the shift lever is out of the way, the stator cover will fight you because the magnets in rotor are pulling on the stator. Resist the temptation to use any metal prying tools. A few taps around the cover with a wooden handle of any sort or a rubber mallet may be needed to break the gasket seal. It will come.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

On the gearshift lever I took the bolt out --Do I need to pry with a flat blade screwdriver and try and spread apart to get it off? Seems like it would pull straight off after the bolt comes out--But nothing comes easy. Brian

Comment

Yes, once the screw is removed, the shift lever comes straight off. Crud will fight you. For better or worse, I would likely shoot it with brake cleaner then a little WD40 or PB blaster to help. Then again, I ride in a lot of dirt so things down low get cruddy. You could pry a little with a flat head screwdriver in the gap where the screw came out. Just a little. Not sure about your bike, but on mine, the lever has to come off because the shift shaft goes through the stator cover.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks Rich we will give it a whirl.

Comment

Once you remove the stator cover there could be a big washer (different engine, YMMV) on the end of the starter motor idler gear shaft. It will want to disappear. Don’t let it. You need it. If, you have one. I really don’t know.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yep I do I put in a safe place. thanks for the heads up. Brian

Comment

Something I found out that I wasn't expecting when I replaced the stator on my 1000S, was the power of that magnet when you start to position the cover to bolt it back on..be prepared and have a good grip on it because it will suck the cover right out of your hands causing that very thin washer to then disappear into the magnet somewhere. Danger Will Robinson! I found it but it took awhile.
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                              X