1979 GS750 Frame Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750 Frame Dimensions

I've bought a GS750 that has had the rear frame sections cut off so the PO could attach a loop (amongst other things). I want to restore the bike which means I need to weld on the severed frame sections that hold up the rear fender etc.
    Can anyone give me the dimensions of the frame from a fixed point somewhere on the frame (e.g. the cross frame support tube behind the battery box), to the very end of the flattened frame pieces ? Additionally, the dimensions for the fender loop support that spans the frame would be great as well.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Does your 750 look like this, roughly? This is my 1979 GS750E, North American model. If we are talking about the same configuration, I can measure what you need.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yes, that looks the same as my bike.
      If you could measure things up (preferably in mm) that would be great.
      Cheers - JT

Comment

Runningdog - do you know (or did you know) a person called Frank ? He was very active on the SOHC Honda forum which I'm a member of, until his unfortunate death about a year ago.
        Reason I ask is that he was from Kelowna as well.

Comment

Yes, Frank was a good friend. We all miss his quirkyness.

I will send some measurements a bit later, and we can se if I give you what you want.

OK, rear sub-frame, rear of battery frame to flattened ends: 550mm.

Fender loop: 415mm from battery frame. Not attached to fender, just locates width of rear struts.

Fender attachment tabs on rear struts: 357mm from battery frame, bolts on centre.

Maybe send a photo of what you do have, then maybe I can see what else you need for dims.
          Last edited by Runningdog; 12-03-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you !
            Just to confirm, the measurements are all from the back of battery frame bracket that has the two bolts in it on the left side of your picture ?
            I think the only other measurement I need is for the seat hinge brackets. If you could give me those based on the center of each hinge that would be great.
            I've attached a picture if that helps.
            Many thanks - JT
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Wow, that is nasty.

Yes, the measurements are all from the rear edge of the battery bracket you describe. Re: the seat hinges, perhaps it would be better if you located the hinges yourself using the seat and the seat latch.....then you would be closer with your nstallation as required.

Comment

Yep pretty drastic ! They also chopped off the rear foot peg mounts but that's a bit easier to repair..
                Really appreciate your help - thank you.

Comment

Yes.....I did go back out to the frozen shed, and the seat mounts are, on centre, 43 and 219mm from the south end of the battery bracket. Can you find an old frame and remount the section you need in its entirety?

Comment

Oh, I forgot it's winter time in Canada !
                    Thanks for the seat mount measurements.
                    The previous owner threw everything out after he had completed his "brat" surgery - that was the first thing I asked him when I saw the bike, so no luck there.
                    That's the shame of younger people modifying old bikes - they often don't appreciate the rarity of many parts and the consequences of their actions.
                    No frames for sale in NZ at present and due to the small numbers sold I doubt anything will turn up, but you never know.
                    I have a very helpful neighbor who is a fabricator / welder and lucky for me he enjoys these sort of challenges.
                    Thanks again for your help (and braving that frozen shed).
                    Cheers - JT

Comment

Working...
                    X