Informative video on motorcycle oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informative video on motorcycle oil

A day or two ago I posted a video about debunking tire myths and here's one from the same source on motorcycle oil. In this video he mentions that around the time Suzuki was building the GS model that there was no difference between car and motorcycle oil. It turns out I DID learn something about the difference and the old tried and trusty Rotella T4 15W40 meets the challenge with the MA2 rating mentioned in this video.

I'm quite sure we'll be hearing from those that insist on having phynol-butylene-zircon encrusted molecules in their oil at $15 a quart even though they have zero idea on what that actually means. Hey, if the cute girl on the Sunday morning motorhead infomercials disguised as TV shows says you need it chances are it won't change your mind.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Isn't MA2 a revision for catalytic convertors?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      Isn't MA2 a revision for catalytic convertors?
      For all those people that find it more convenient to bother you with their question than to google it for themselves.

Comment

gfy!..............
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Good video, well presented. You want oil to deal with gearbox, clutch and pistons, it has to be special.
          My new ride has a dry clutch and separate gearbox. This opens up a whole range of traditional oils doing traditional jobs
          Might the debate about this be clearer if the oils weren't called motorcycle or car oils but referred to the design of the motor?
          This offers an interesting, but twenty year old, perspective.

I can understand people feeling ripped off by overpriced motorcycle oil but that should be tempered by an understanding of the demands that the ever evolving modern motorcycle is making of it's oil.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Thanks for posting that. Good video, well presented. You want oil to deal with gearbox, clutch and pistons, it has to be special.

That was my take too and the article you cited was more good info.

Comment

Hum, that VFRWorld article refutes the need for "motorcycle" oil. It states that as long as the oil being used isn't "EC (energy conserving)" it's fine to use. The writer also likes HD diesel oils. I think this hits closer to the truth than the video.

BTW, there is at least one guy that hangs out on Bob is the Oil Guy that has a large Goldwing with more than 100,000 miles on it, and he uses EC car oil and laughs when people warn against them. He almost takes it as a challenge.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK oil men - I have an oil question - I put a quart of some Lucas break in oil I bought for my Norton 750 (almost ready to start!) in a Honda ST90. Can this oil do harm over the long term? I sort of doubt the bike had ever had an oil change by the looks of it. It has no real filter. It's a '75 with about 1K miles. Running great now that I gave it some attention. I doubt the bike will do a lot of miles. What harm can 'too much' zinc do? Anyone?
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I don't know but I do know that the number of opinions will exceed the number of contributors
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

It's not the too much zinc, it's the lack of viscosity stabilizers that is the problem. Break in oil is designed to last an hour.
                    Regular motorcycle oil has lots of ZDDP, about 12-1300PPM... and viscosity stabilizers, and anti foam and ....

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
                      Regular motorcycle oil has lots of ZDDP, about 12-1300PPM... and viscosity stabilizers, and anti foam and ....
                      ZDDP levels in many motorcycle oils is dropping, particularly in the thinner versions. Reason being, motorcycles are using cats now, and ZDDP damages them. I was just reading some oil analysis reports over on Bob is the Oil guy, and levels are below 1000, and some below 800, on many motorcycle oils these days.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

ZDDP levels in many motorcycle oils is dropping, particularly in the thinner versions. Reason being, motorcycles are using cats now, and ZDDP damages them. I was just reading some oil analysis reports over on Bob is the Oil guy, and levels are below 1000, and some below 800, on many motorcycle oils these days.
                        Yes. It's one thing to be happy with twenty year old opinion about forty year old machines but quite another to drag that forward into a rapidly changing environment of engine design and fuel composition.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

Whatever kind of new stuff comes along certainly won't be all bad nor all good. To do away with the confusion, I'll probably just stay the oil recommended by the Mfg. for our particular bike, it seems much easier. I deviated once and put in some Slick 50. Terrible idea, took a ppx. a week and 3 oil changes to get things straightened back out.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Yeah. That's MA2, MA is still 12-1300ppm ZDDP

Comment

Working...
                            X