Found during oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found during oil change

Found this today when draining my oil catch pan after changing the oil in my ‘80 GS1100E. I’m assuming it came out of the engine. I don’t recognize it, does anyone else? It’s a perfect half sphere, is hollow, is made of steel, is about 9mm in diameter, and appears to be undamaged.

Thanks!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    GS1100ET

GS1100ET

Comment

HHuuummmm, not remembering anything like that, but been a long time since had one of those eng. apart. interesting
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks like it may be an oil galley plug. Not sure though. Good thing the bike didn't eat it. I would take the bottom oil pan off, and look for any hole down there that looks like might be missing something.

Comment

Interesting and somewhat scary at the same time. Wonder if it's something that ended up in there from the factory floor.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            I would take the bottom oil pan off, and look for any hole down there that looks like might be missing something.
            As much as I’d rather not mess with it, probably a good idea.
            GS1100ET

Comment

I had a KTM that came with a spare rocker arm pad sitting loosely in the head.

Mad
              83 GS750E
              2006 ZX14
              2004 KTM 450 EXC
              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

if it is an oil galley plug you would have low oil pressure somewhere with it all taking the shortcut..... That wouldn't be good!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

For me it would be more to wonder about than worry about. I'd have sure thought somebody around here would have seen one before if it were a Suzuki part, especially if it was a important Suzuki part.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks like the top of a acorn nut. They would come off the nut if you tightened them too much. Don't know how it got inside the engine though. And, I seem to recall that those were aluminum,could be wrong about that.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                      Looks like the top of a acorn nut. They would come off the nut if you tightened them too much. Don't know how it got inside the engine though. And, I seem to recall that those were aluminum,could be wrong about that.
                      I think you may have it. There are two of these cap nuts inside the head right next to the cam chain tunnel . # 11 on the fiche. Part number 09159-10026. https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a.../cylinder-head

You would be able to see if yours are intact by removing the valve cover. Much less work than removing the oil pan.

the dome of this nut ​looks suspiciously like the OPs picture

image.jpg
                      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-11-2023, 06:34 PM.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I’d expect an oil plug to be shaped like a freeze plug, with flat sides. This chunk of metal is not shaped like that. That gives me a little hope that it isn’t oil-related, but what do I know?
                        GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

I think you may have it. There are two of these cap nuts inside the head right next to the cam chain tunnel . # 11 on the fiche. Part number 09159-10026. https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a.../cylinder-head

You would be able to see if yours are intact by removing the valve cover. Much less work than removing the oil pan.
                          Well, well, well. I will have to check that out. Very good info, thanks! I need to retorque things, anyway.
                          GS1100ET

Comment

SOLVED: Acorn nut idea was spot on and got me thinking where else they are used. At least I don’t have to worry about this being an internal issue. Which of these is not like the others? Thanks for your input!
                            GS1100ET

Comment

Wow! What a relief. You can't get any more external than that.

Imagine if you had disassembled the engine before realizing it was a filter nut?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X