Advice needed for a sprocket ratio of 16 / 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed for a sprocket ratio of 16 / 45

I want to replace both sprockets but can only source a 16 tooth front sprocket and no 45 tooth rear sprocket. Located in Canada, fortnine and local dealers don't carry the rear sprocket.

What are my options on a GS400E?

Any place I can order one?
    1983 GS400E - Canada specific
    Noobie mechanic with some determination

Plenty on ebay, unless you're looking for something special... put in Suzuki gs400 sprocket set 16/45... they have a set both sprockets and chain... or remove set and buy them individual.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

New chain to go with new sprockets- I like it.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks, will go the ebay way for the rear sprocket even if this takes some time.

While I was hand turning the wheel, my old chain had some links that would show resistance on the front sprocket, I'm getting rid of it even if the problem disapeared after a good kerosene cleanup and lubrication. I had adjusted that chain perfect and after a 25 miles ride the chain showed some slack again...

Will replace the chain today for safety and wait for the sprockets to show up later

Comment

Some links would show resistance, I call it tight spots. If you adjust your chai while on a tight spot, it will be loose when the wheel turns a little, to a loose spot. If you adjust it at a loose spot, when the wheel turns it will hit the tight spot and be too tight. Just part of chain drive bikes... No wrong answers, but wait and install all new at the same time would seem reasonable.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sunstar is the largest OEM supplier of motorcycle and all terrain vehicle (ATV) sprockets and brake discs in the world.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

When replacing sprockets, that's the time to replace the chain as well. Sprockets and chain all wear together: Worn sprockets will quickly wear out a new chain. Vice versa: a worn chain is not good for new sprockets
              Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
              1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
              1981 GS1100E

Comment

I heard good things about the sunstar sprockets, they supposedly last long. I ordered one on fortnine for the front. JT on order off ebay for the rear.

I decided to order the DID chain cutting and rivetting tool even if I trust myself with a dremel/punch and hammer. Some spare rivet links to go with it too...

I will just keep adjusting my old chain weekly until theses parts all show up to install them all at the same time.

I'm no math guy, what would be the effect or feasibility of putting a 44 tooth sprocket on the rear or a 17 tooth sprocket on the front? any ressources you recommend to understand the basics here?

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post

I'm no math guy, what would be the effect or feasibility of putting a 44 tooth sprocket on the rear or a 17 tooth sprocket on the front? any ressources you recommend to understand the basics here?
                  Going from 16/45 to 17/44 would result in a higher top speed at the expense of low end acceleration, it would give you slower take off speed. If you went with 15/46 you'd accelerate faster with a lower top speed.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks
                    Am I right to assume it's always okay to go one teeth less or one more and not expect any clearance trouble and such? Any rule of thumb for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
                      Thanks
                      Am I right to assume it's always okay to go one teeth less or one more and not expect any clearance trouble and such? Any rule of thumb for this?
                      That assumption is not good i'm afraid.
                      Especially with the front sprocket you could run into issues : with a smaller sprocket you could get the chain rubbing/slapping on the rear swingarm at the pivot point ; a tooth too much and it might get clearance issues with sprocket cover or other parts.

And with a heavier sprocket ratio you may discover the bike will not pull properly from the start or not reach top speed in the highest gear.

Rule of thumb is 1 tooth at the front equals 3 teeth in the back, so a change of 1 tooth on the front sprocket is a big change.

If you check the manual, parts list or online references for sprockets you often see valid alternatives.
                      Last edited by Rijko; 05-14-2023, 09:40 AM.
                      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

From what I've noticed. If someone secretly changed your rear one tooth, you would never notice the change. For the front, you would notice immediately...Also "I've" not heard of clearance problems, I'd think would have to be a pretty extreme change in size.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          From what I've noticed. If someone secretly changed your rear one tooth, you would never notice the change. For the front, you would notice immediately...Also "I've" not heard of clearance problems, I'd think would have to be a pretty extreme change in size.
                          i have seen that on several bikes .. lately on a GSX1100F with 140HP.
                          Front sprocket 2 teeth oversized, he had to remove 1 sprocket cover stay to be able to fit.

And for a 140HP bike i was surprised it would not reach top speed.
                          That would be even worse with a bike with less HP ...

Clearance issue is not strange when going down on front sprocket size, but not many people
                          go down more than 1 tooth so you may not hear about it that often.
                          Last edited by Rijko; 05-14-2023, 12:01 PM.
                          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Agreed, to me, 2 teeth either way on the front is kind'f extreme, appx same as 6 teeth on rear, also kind'f extreme.
                            Last edited by rphillips; 05-14-2023, 01:22 PM.

Comment

My bike is 40HP only... At the end of summer I will probably install a luggage carrier and have a passenger on occasion. I was thinking more about oooumph at the start and less about top speed so if I do I'll experience with the rear sprocket only. Thanks to you all that gives a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X