Horn sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn sound

It's taken me years and years to even remember to ask this question. I want a better horn sound on both my GS550 and GSX250.

So design criteria is: same fittings as standard (one single bolt to frame and one horn) and a deep blast of a horn sound.

Why? There are occasions when you wanna press the horn. I recently had an idiot van reversing almost into my GSX250 and the horn was not man enough to warn the driver.
    And
    The high pitch bleep of the original is not fitting for my bikes anymore.

UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

My stock horns (11E) have screws that adjust the sound. You might want to tinker with yours.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Most aftermarket motorcycle horns are a one bolt design.

Maybe read up on the current loud horns, there's some fun ones out there.

Sick of sounding like roadrunner? Lose the MEEP MEEP with a bigger, better, louder motorcycle horn. Our guide has the recommended horns available to buy.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Been there, van reversing up a steep hill at me from close range and nowhere to go although I had put myself in one of his blind spots.
        There were two on the 850 a hi and lo notes.
        Current ride needed a new one and I ended up with a generic aftermarket hi note.
        It has the CE approved for bikes label and is loud enough to hurt at close range.
        I seem to recall something about higher frequencies being more easily heard by more of the population.
        That said I almost never use the horn. As the wildlife gurus say, never startle an animal of limited intelligence, you never know how they will react
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If you happen to go with an aftermarket unit, be aware that it might have one or two electrical terminals. Your stock horn has two, so that would be a simple change. If your new horn has a single terminal, use your stock wires to trigger a relay. Run a (fused) wire from the battery to the input of the relay and a new wire to the single terminal on the horn. Use at least 14 gauge wire.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I have these Dual Fiamm Horns on my Suzuki, Tractor Trailer trucks move out of the way.

Developed from our famous AM-80S horns, the El Grande Twin Electric Horns deliver a loud and harmonious sound that’s great for any vehicle.Comes with...

El Grande:

Dual FIamm Horns.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
              I have these Dual Fiamm Horns on my Suzuki, Tractor Trailer trucks move out of the way.
              Yes i believe that ... 128 dB (!!)

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I have a pair of Bosch Peasant Warmers, fed via relay.
                They work.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

Yes i believe that ... 128 dB (!!)

The Horns on my Motor Horn are air powered, and they are the loudest horns I have ever head. They look like miniature Trombone ends, one bigger than the other to get the two tones, and a big fan motor that pumps the air.

Comment

a lot to think about .
                    a) Ill try and adjust and see what the original can produce.
                    b) no good then it's look into all your answers. I need a good
                    phraarrrphhh sound ..,..
                    (this weekend it's fork seal / reasemble stripped and cleaned up rear brake
                    calipers / " horn".)
                    UKJULES
                    ---------------------------------
                    Owner of following bikes:
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Plenty of loud horns out there, like the links show. Problem is, it's hard to find them that fit in an inconspicuous space, as the OEM's & don't look out of place. Also adjusting the OEM's can make a big difference. Hope it does for you.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There's a set screw on some. I can't recall but its for adjustments. Mine had a clear varnish as a thread locker which failed requiring adjustment and relock.
                        a relay on the circuit would help oem is a oddly fine wire.
                        also clean and polish the handlebar switch.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                        X