No announcement yet.

Stripped lower hex bolt on bottom of forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan of Harleys. I know a lot of guys that own them, though I never ride with them. I go into New York a lot, and they have mandatory Helmet laws. I will not ride with anyone who is not dressed for it in any event, so that excludes people who feel it's safe to ride without a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post

I also belong to the Vintage Suzuki site that's located in the U.K., but you had better have thick skin to join that site, and your bike can't be an "L" model. They will rip you apart, and you can use whatever kind of language you want, and insult people there ad infinitum, but you had better be able to take it. It's a blast, but not for everyone. It is the most knowledgeable group of people on Suzuki motorcycles I've ever met. These guys do wild things to their bikes. I have purchased whole GS1150 front ends for $75 bucks from members located in the "Colonies', as you would say.
      If you're referring to OSS, yes, it's a great site. And while foul language good natured ribbing is allowed, I have seen several people get banned when things got personal. They run a tight ship.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post

If you're referring to OSS, yes, it's a great site. And while foul language good natured ribbing is allowed, I have seen several people get banned when things got personal. They run a tight ship.
        Yup, that's the site. I belong to that one, and have been treated really well. Anything of a personal nature, you are done. They know how to get close though, not for the thin skinned, and you had better know what you are talking about. That's the real main raw nerve there. If you don't, they will tear you apart. On the other hand, they are extremely helpful. These guys bash together bikes that are made of old bikes, and every bit as competitive of anything you could buy today, except they do it for a lot less money. Seeing someone fabricate and mount a Supercharger for their GS1150, or other bikes, adding Turbos, swing arms from billet aluminum, making whole custom frames, and single side swing arms, the list goes on. Many Americans on that site, and I have picked up some deals on parts that really just barely covered the shipping costs.

Comment

Seal in, forks back . An awful job but sorted.

Allen bolt was m8×1.25.

One thing I always assumed that very small bleed screw had a rubber washer. Mine didn't and is in and doesnt seem to leak. I had to sort a stripped Philips head on that screw with the Dremel but all sorted now.

(Used 1 1/2" pipe to ram in seal)
          (Notice a fork seal has gone on the gsx .... So have to do another )

Cheers again for tip !
          UKJULES
          ---------------------------------
          Owner of following bikes:
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
            I had to sort a stripped Philips head on that screw with the Dremel but all sorted now.
            Stripped Phillips head screw? You know about the JIS cross head screws on these bikes? There is a nice guy on this side of the pond that sells some sets. Or you can go to Amazon. I think that was the first key thing I learned on this site.

Cheers, Alan

'82 GS650G 27k
            '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
            ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
            '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
            '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

yep I know of jis as you say.
              I am yet to even own a jis screwdriver or ever buy any jis head screws etc.
              never time ........

I didn't bother looking for another screw for the bleed on the forks. I made head into a
              slotted one and hoped for the best. All ok with it and no rubber washer (there can't
              have ever been one)
              STOP.... JUST CHECKED THERE WAS ONE - PIC ATTACHED no 22

Mine is in with no washer, no leak but not tested on a long run.
              Attached Files
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Need to bodgify a new washer and put on without draining oil .....
                Attached Files
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

q) I don't suppose anyone knows what that very small screw washer (for the fork drain) is made of do you?
                  I'm going to order a few M4 brass washers but just wondered if they were plastic.
                  UKJULES
                  1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                  1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                  1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                  1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Brass or Copper will work out fine. Any kind of gasket will work down there, it's just a matter if you want to reuse it. I like Copper because if you heat it up with a Propane torch, it swells up again. We did that for the Copper Gaskets on the aircraft spark plugs we used. The spark plugs were $140 each (Ouch!), and there were easily cleaned. A quick hit with a Propane Torch on the washers, and when you see the color change, you know they are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                      Brass or Copper will work out fine. Any kind of gasket will work down there, it's just a matter if you want to reuse it. I like Copper because if you heat it up with a Propane torch, it swells up again. We did that for the Copper Gaskets on the aircraft spark plugs we used. The spark plugs were $140 each (Ouch!), and there were easily cleaned. A quick hit with a Propane Torch on the washers, and when you see the color change, you know they are ready.
                      Good to know in case you ever want to convert your forks to an aircraft spark plug!
                      Ron
                      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Ha! The same principle applies to copper head gaskets, or any gasket made of Copper.

Comment

Working...
                        X