Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all 550 folks - Should I get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all 550 folks - Should I get it?

If any of you have followed me the last few years, you'll know I acquired several GS's very quickly, most of which were basket cases. It was too much too fast so I sold two of them as parts bikes, and the '77 750 I had I revived and got "road worthy." It needed a lot more work than what I could realistically afford to put into it within a reasonable amount of time, so I sold it. Fortunately I turned a profit on all 3 bikes. I took that cash and got my 850 pretty much all caught up on maintenance and repairs.

But now I've got the itch to wrench on something again. I like a good project. I really enjoyed reviving the 750. There's something satisfying about breathing life back into one of these machines, then passing it on to someone else to enjoy. Because of that positive experience, I've kept an eye on the local classifieds for an old GS for cheap that looks like it could be revived, when I say cheap I mean under $500. Usually anything under $500 is rough and parts only, but occasionally I find a diamond in the rough. That being said, I found an 83 GS550ES for sale for a reasonable price. Owner claims he had it running a few years ago (to what extent I do not know) but had a kid and life has gotten in the way of finishing the bike. The few pictures he posted it appears complete and in decent shape. Can't quite tell, but looks like it's been repainted at some point. Says he has a clean title.

Should I save it? My intentions would pretty much be to get it road worthy and sell for someone else to finish/enjoy. Maybe enjoy it for a little while before selling if I like it.

I don't have any experience with 550s, anything unique I should be aware of? I've only worked on 8 valve bikes. Looks like 550ES not shim in bucket so valve adjustments should be easier.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

It would be a hard bike to get your money back of, forget about making a profit. If you got the bike, because you liked it, and it was very cheap, that's a different story.Too bad it was repainted, that really brings the value down. $500 isn't a lot of money. I'd offer less, I bet he's been sitting on it. As I stated, you really need to want this bike. There is nothing special about them that would warrant the labor, except a labor of love.

Comment

Unique? yes, 2 2bbl carbs on 4 cyl. bike seems pretty unique. Not a clue if parts may be harder to find, just know there weren't a lot of bikes with 2 bbl. carbs. Yes the rockers are waaay easier than the shims... for me.... I owned an "83" GS550ES a few yrs back, very nice bike, just a little smaller than I was ust'a riding... No clue about pricing.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
        It would be a hard bike to get your money back of, forget about making a profit. If you got the bike, because you liked it, and it was very cheap, that's a different story.Too bad it was repainted, that really brings the value down. $500 isn't a lot of money. I'd offer less, I bet he's been sitting on it. As I stated, you really need to want this bike. There is nothing special about them that would warrant the labor, except a labor of love.
        To be clear, I wouldn't be expecting a record profit. The 750 I flipped I only sold for $1300 so I'm not expecting to sell a bike for $5,000. The only reason I turned a profit was because I bought the bike so cheap ($200) and it didn't take too much to get running. But I thoroughly enjoyed getting it back on the road and passing on to someone else. If I broke even I'd be happy. I enjoy working on old GS's. I always offer less than asking. I try to be reasonable, but I also like a good deal.

As for paint, the pictures aren't the best but the reason I suspect it's been painted is because there's no Suzuki decals or anything anywhere. It's just blue, but does have some pinstriping along the bottom edge of the body parts and tank. That kind of looks original, but again without decals or other branding it's hard for me to say. I'm not an expert on these bikes. If it has been painted, it appears to be a decent paint job and they matched all the body parts at least.
        Last edited by 93Bandit; 06-26-2023, 07:37 AM.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Unique? yes, 2 2bbl carbs on 4 cyl. bike seems pretty unique. Not a clue if parts may be harder to find, just know there weren't a lot of bikes with 2 bbl. carbs. Yes the rockers are waaay easier than the shims... for me.... I owned an "83" GS550ES a few yrs back, very nice bike, just a little smaller than I was ust'a riding... No clue about pricing.
          That is different, I just took a look at the parts list and looks like there's quite a few parts still available, however the LH intake is not longer available. Can't find one anywhere online. So that'd be something I'd have to pay close attention to when looking at it. I may hook up the trailer and go check it out this evening. Maybe it's in decent shape and wouldn't take much to get running.

Comment

I've owned one of those bikes, and my advice is to RUN AWAY, and RUN AWAY FAST!

Those 2 carb/4 cylinder bikes are a PITA and parts are impossible to source. Maybe that's why they only made them for a few years? I wound up buying a set of carbs and a complete engine just to get enough parts to get one set of carbs sorted!

Of course, it's not my time or money you are investing!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              I've owned one of those bikes, and my advice is to RUN AWAY, and RUN AWAY FAST!

Those 2 carb/4 cylinder bikes are a PITA and parts are impossible to source. Maybe that's why they only made them for a few years? I wound up buying a set of carbs and a complete engine just to get enough parts to get one set of carbs sorted!

Of course, it's not my time or money you are investing!
              oof, good to know! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I might still take a look at it, but I'll keep this in mind. Seller hasn't responded to me yet so may not even get to look.

Comment

I bet you could modify a side draft Weber DCOE series to work on it. I've built many engines using that carb. Making the adapter plate would take some skill.
                Probably not necessary, as this is assuming the carb is bad. There are a lot of parts on EBAY for that bike. If you like doing this as a hobby, that changes everything. In '83, I'm pretty sure they ere using a Cam Follower set up, you can bang out a valve adjustment at home. It uses the same square drive on the adjusters that Honda does. If he's asking $500, me, being who I am, I'd show up with $400, offer $350, go up to $400, state the "not stock paint, not running condition, not a sought after motorcycle, etc.".........

I bet he'll take the $400 bucks. That's cheap for any bike. If he doesn't walk away, that sometimes changes minds. Just make sure you tell him that if you leave, you will not be back whatever he asks for it. You may end up with a bike you can bang together, have your fun, and if you get it all sorted out, look how much bikes cost now, you will be able to sell it. Doing this for enjoyment really does change everything.

EBAY listing for used parts :

Comment

I think that many if not most people selling 'generic' old bikes believe something sitting for years has some inflated value, but won't put in any effort whatsoever to prep for sale. Most bikes that old need everything anyway, every single wear item addressed. It will need a full strip down, cleaning, researching, buying parts and and countless hours of work to make it safe and reliable. Then you'll be upside down. Find one already > 90% how you like it and ride. To me it's not worth squat if the buyer isn't making any effort, I may offer 100$ to get what is basically junk to him out of his way. Sounds harsh perhaps but I see ads every day that show this.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                    I bet you could modify a side draft Weber DCOE series to work on it. I've built many engines using that carb. Making the adapter plate would take some skill.
                    Probably not necessary, as this is assuming the carb is bad. There are a lot of parts on EBAY for that bike. If you like doing this as a hobby, that changes everything. In '83, I'm pretty sure they ere using a Cam Follower set up, you can bang out a valve adjustment at home. It uses the same square drive on the adjusters that Honda does. If he's asking $500, me, being who I am, I'd show up with $400, offer $350, go up to $400, state the "not stock paint, not running condition, not a sought after motorcycle, etc.".........

I bet he'll take the $400 bucks. That's cheap for any bike. If he doesn't walk away, that sometimes changes minds. Just make sure you tell him that if you leave, you will not be back whatever he asks for it. You may end up with a bike you can bang together, have your fun, and if you get it all sorted out, look how much bikes cost now, you will be able to sell it. Doing this for enjoyment really does change everything.

EBAY listing for used parts :

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...temCondition=4
                    You're a better man than I. I would offer $200 and be pretty firm at that. I've scored several deals doing that. Probably ruffled some feathers as well but in my opinion never hurts to ask. I'm also not afraid to walk away if I don't get a price I'm happy with.

It would be a strictly for the pleasure of getting back on the road and sell eventually to recoup what I can.

However the seller has been nonresponsive so this one might not work out anyways.

I did find another bike, an 81 650E that appears to be complete as well. Its definitely been painted but otherwise appears in decent shape. Asking price is less than the 550ES so might go check that one out. I think Id like the 650 more anyways and could probably resale for more than the 550 when that day comes.

We'll see.

Comment

93Bandit​ That's kind of what I was thinking myself. It seems we have a lot in common, the worst person to sell something to, and the worst person to buy something from, though I will say, when I sell something, I am up front with everything, but I get top dollar.

Comment

this is an oddly convolutes post.
                        Get the damn bike itss well worth 500 bucks and it'll eat the older 550s alive. 64 BHP and it'll pull top gear to 9500 at 120 mph or so.
                        And a lot of other large cc bikes.
                        its light and has lowish gearing.

Parts are always showing up on ebay for these. there as plentiful as any other japanese bike made by suzuki in the mid 80s.

The fearful perversity of labeling the carbs as two barrel is asinine. They are two carbs in a single body.

Who buys an old bike to make money?
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I've made money off of bikes. You may not have the tooling or expertise I have, but I have made really good money, with not much effort. There's a process to this that starts from buying the bike. Why pay $500 if you can get it for less? That is convoluted thinking. Don't insult a whole thread of posters giving their honest opinions.