Getting to grips (with grips)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to grips (with grips)

I have what is quite possibly one of the worst first-world problems ever: my handlebar grips don't match.

Years ago, the left one had split down the middle and I replace it with OEM. But OEM today differs from OEM of 1979 and the designs are different. Left grip looks new and minty. Right grip is intact but clearly 40 years old and has lost all of its flavor and much of its grip. According to the parts fiche sites, these are no longer available from Suzuki. Anyway, just a couple of quick questions:

From my research, I am led to understand that aftermarket grips fit classic Suzuki GS throttle tubes, but you have to modify the tube to accept them by filing down one or more ridges. True story?

I also heard a rumor that Suzuki hasn't changed the mechanical dimensions of the throttle tubes in the decades since and that newer tubes work just fine on the old GSes. I can spend a few hours trolling through the catalog of bikes and parts fiches looking for likely candidates, but does anyone have "yes I've done it and know it works" story by chance? That would certainly save me some time if so!
    Last edited by eil; 06-30-2023, 12:38 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

I've used Oury grips on my bikes and like them alot! I did have to remove the "angled portion" closest to the switch housing on the throttle tube for them to work properly. A dremel does a good job of grinding it away. Just my .02
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      I also heard a rumor that Suzuki hasn't changed the mechanical dimensions of the throttle tubes in the decades since and that newer tubes work just fine on the old GSes. I can spend a few hours trolling through the catalog of bikes and parts fiches looking for likely candidates, but does anyone have "yes I've done it and know it works" story by chance? That would certainly save me some time if so!
      I have a GS500 throttle tube on mine. I don't recall exactly what model or year, but it was certainly a couple of decades later than 1980. It fitted like it was made for it (which, given zuk's propensity for using parts-bin parts, probably was).
      The original tube was just worn out, from the inside-out, and became thin and fragile because it was likely the OEM one and had lasted well over 200K miles by then.
      Last edited by Grimly; 06-30-2023, 06:42 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had to file down the "ribs" on my throttle tube to fit the standard size modern heated grips to my bike.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
        X