Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84>83 Cluster swap?

Hey all,

First post but hopefully not the first of many.

I have inherited a 1984 GS1150E and its already running and more or less ready to go, there is only one thing bugging me about this bike and it's the gauge cluster unit.
    This bike has great sweeping lines and some hard edges but having a brick above the headlight is really bugging me,

I have done some research and have seen that the 1983 GS1100E has a much better cluster with a more classic look that I like.

My question is if I buy a 1983 unit off of eBay that it will directly swap over or is this a dumb idea?

Cheers,

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NO. I'm not saying it "can't be done" but it's not gonna be a direct swap. 83 -> 84 was a transitional period for the big Suzuki.

Partzilla is a great site to use for swap type questions. If you click on a part number, a list of the other models that your choice was used on pops up.
    Good luck to you and Welcome to GSR!
    Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
    Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Agreed that the 83 cluster is way cooler... but he 83 tach is a cable drive, the 84 is electronic so right off of the bat you would need to address that. I think the 83 ES tach is electronic, but the cluster is similarly shaped to your 84 one.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Also, '82 is identical to '83, except for the 80 mph speedo.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Agreed that the 83 cluster is way cooler... but he 83 tach is a cable drive, the 84 is electronic so right off of the bat you would need to address that. I think the 83 ES tach is electronic, but the cluster is similarly shaped to your 84 one.
          Thanks DB. I was hoping you'd chime in, as you are an 1150 guy! You ARE correct about the 83 tach. Mine is electronic, as you said. The drive gear is still on the 83 cam though.

Be well.
          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
          X