Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS550e oil change and nothing in the sight glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbys 94 View Post

I can do that Ed. I'm waiting on parts to arrive so I have time to let the lift down and put the center stand down. But just my thought is the sight glass is towards the rear of the clutch cover so if the rear wheel is up and the bike is aimed downhill that would cause the oil to flow forward away from the sight glass, IMHO.
    You are correct......................the oil level should be checked with the bike upright on a level surface.
    ask a friend to help.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

When I started riding, 45 yrs. ago, my dealer always said check while holding bike up straight and on both wheels, checking on the center stand would be inaccurate. Several yrs. back I read here at the GSR to check while on center stand. After all these yrs. I decided to read the manual, Sho' enough, all manuals I've read say check while on center stand, except the ZRX, those stupid thing don't come from factory with center stand. PITB to change oil, change tires or even oil the chain. Go figure... Just me, next oil change I'd got to top it off to exactly full first, then catch, drain, and measure exactly how much comes out.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What is a little hilarious about this whole thing is, I've done many nut and bolt restorations over the past 40 or so years and I NEVER had issue with how much oil to put in the crankcase or how to check it properly. The day I bought this bike I ordered a shop manual and read the owners manual cover to cover before touching the bike.
        1977 GS750
        1978 GS750
        1979 GS750L
        1980 GS550e
        1978 KZ1000
        1975 Honda XL350 K1

Comment

I'm not sure of this, so it's just a guess, somebody who knows might pop up with a definitive answer.
          I wonder if the PO fitted a later side case (if they fit, that is) that might be windowed for a higher oil level.
          Similar thing happened to my XS - it shouldn't have a windowed case, but a PO fitted one. Makes oil checking much easier, and the dipstick still works fine.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            I'm not sure of this, so it's just a guess, somebody who knows might pop up with a definitive answer.
            I wonder if the PO fitted a later side case (if they fit, that is) that might be windowed for a higher oil level.
            Similar thing happened to my XS - it shouldn't have a windowed case, but a PO fitted one. Makes oil checking much easier, and the dipstick still works fine.
            Going by my research on Partzilla the clutch cover is unique to the GS550 line. The GS650,750 and 850 all have the clutch activation going through the clutch cover on the right side and the GS550 works via push rod from the opposite side of the engine.
            1977 GS750
            1978 GS750
            1979 GS750L
            1980 GS550e
            1978 KZ1000
            1975 Honda XL350 K1

Comment

Soooo.... after 19 posts......what do you have as far as oil volume? I checked oil levels on both of my GS 1100E's this morning as well as my Honda ST 1300. Checked first on center stand. Then, without assistance handy, I lifted the front wheel on each until rear tire touched the floor. Placed some wedges under front tire to maintain proper position. Motorcycles now thought / think they are on 2 wheels...errrr...becaue they are / were. Additionally, a magnetic spirit level was placed longitudinally on each tank with machine on center stand and bubble centered. Center stand to 'both tires on floor position' moved bubble a wee tad of course. Most importantly, the observed oil level in each window did not change enough to be of any significance..... we are talking less than 1 MM. All this talk of center stand, 2.7 quarts...manual says that includes filter etc..... is BS. Fill the fkg thing with oil, observe and adjust the level as / if required.....and get on the open road. Remember too, the folks who write the 'owners manual' are not infallible. End of rant.
              Last edited by Grand Rouge; 01-02-2024, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The suggestion to put the bike on the centre stand is a very wise legal dept warning.
                The difference would be negligible but the bike wont fall on you or your pet parakeet.
                The notion that it came from the engineering department is insane.
                The ultimate accuracy issue is that the bike be level fore and aft and side to side. Even a slight lean drops the oil level low or high.
                ALso warm the engine and allow for sufficient drain back time prior to checking.​
                Last edited by Cipher; 01-02-2024, 06:58 PM.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Agreed. Makes sense.

Comment

Also OP was the engine worked on at all. There are pockets in the head that hold a considerable amount of oil and if these were empty the bike was improperly reassembled and would need more oil.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post
                      Soooo.... after 19 posts......what do you have as far as oil volume? I checked oil levels on both of my GS 1100E's this morning as well as my Honda ST 1300. Checked first on center stand. Then, without assistance handy, I lifted the front wheel on each until rear tire touched the floor. Placed some wedges under front tire to maintain proper position. Motorcycles now thought / think they are on 2 wheels...errrr...becaue they are / were. Additionally, a magnetic spirit level was placed longitudinally on each tank with machine on center stand and bubble centered. Center stand to 'both tires on floor position' moved bubble a wee tad of course. Most importantly, the observed oil level in each window did not change enough to be of any significance..... we are talking less than 1 MM. All this talk of center stand, 2.7 quarts...manual says that includes filter etc..... is BS. Fill the fkg thing with oil, observe and adjust the level as / if required.....and get on the open road. Remember too, the folks who write the 'owners manual' are not infallible. End of rant.
                      Took 91oz for the oil to read just below the F on the level window. About 10oz more than the recommended amount and, I'm calling it good.
                      1977 GS750
                      1978 GS750
                      1979 GS750L
                      1980 GS550e
                      1978 KZ1000
                      1975 Honda XL350 K1

Comment

Took 91oz for the oil to read just below the F on the level window. About 10oz more than the recommended amount and, I'm calling it good.
                        Proper level is halfway. Enjoy windage drag....
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

"Proper level is halfway" I've never heard that before. Would that be for auto's also, halfway between "F" and "L" on dipstick?
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I always fill to the top of the range.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              Also OP was the engine worked on at all. There are pockets in the head that hold a considerable amount of oil and if these were empty the bike was improperly reassembled and would need more oil.
                              Who really knows if it was worked on over the last 43 years. I took the valve cover off to torque the cam brgs/holders and everything looked like new to me.
                              1977 GS750
                              1978 GS750
                              1979 GS750L
                              1980 GS550e
                              1978 KZ1000
                              1975 Honda XL350 K1

Comment

Thumbs....... Up.

Comment

Working...
                                X