Is the shim exchange dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
    If needed, I have the sizes you've mentioned except the 2.60's. Those are what I needed for my 8V
    Awesome. I should know whether I need them by the end of the week.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GL (in progress)
    1981 Honda Gold Wing GL 1100 (in progress)
    2005 Honda CB900F (919) current
    2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 (current, coast to coast May 2023)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    2014 Yamaha V-Star 1300 (Philly to Key West June 2016)
    2014 Yamaha V Star 950
    2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400
    2012 Triumph Bonneville (coast to coast April 2014)
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500 ​

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Shims are $5.25 each at Z1. Break out the piggy bank!
      Ha! Crap, I forgot about Z1. I was just looking at Suzuki and Ebay. Thanks for the reminder.
      1982 Suzuki GS1100GL (in progress)
      1981 Honda Gold Wing GL 1100 (in progress)
      2005 Honda CB900F (919) current
      2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 (current, coast to coast May 2023)
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
      2014 Yamaha V-Star 1300 (Philly to Key West June 2016)
      2014 Yamaha V Star 950
      2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400
      2012 Triumph Bonneville (coast to coast April 2014)
      2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500 ​

Comment

When I had my '79 850G back in the 1980s, I religiously checked the valve clearances and over of the first 50K km (I am Canadian) all of the shims were changed.

After that, the dealer told me that the clearances were unlikely to change and so I could safely just forget about it unless the bike started running poorly in which case, bring it back. I eventually sold the bike with more than 100K km (about 63,000 miles) on it - and the last check I did showed no change in clearances since the 50K km check.

Has that been anyone else's experience or do the clearances continue to open or close-up over time?
        The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPete View Post
          When I had my '79 850G back in the 1980s, I religiously checked the valve clearances and over of the first 50K km (I am Canadian) all of the shims were changed.

After that, the dealer told me that the clearances were unlikely to change and so I could safely just forget about it unless the bike started running poorly in which case, bring it back. I eventually sold the bike with more than 100K km (about 63,000 miles) on it - and the last check I did showed no change in clearances since the 50K km check.

Has that been anyone else's experience or do the clearances continue to open or close-up over time?
          I found the same, over long distances of mostly stable revs the clearances hardly altered. It got to the point where a check every 20K was really just an advisory.
          However, when I stopped doing that and started using the bikes in what might be called normal use, the checking interval reared its head in a bad way, with a reminder that things had changed. I now check them every 6K or so, sometimes shorter or longer depending on useage.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Typically, the clearances close up with mileage. And when all the clearance is gone, the valves hang open which can lead to damage.

One of the first signs of valves starting to hang open is hard starting when hot. Keep riding, and the valve will burn and likely crack. Not good.

I don't think Suzuki did anyone a favor by specifying such a tight valve clearance range - .03-.08mm. KZ bikes, with virtually the same valve train design as the GS bikes, use more than double that much clearance.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Typically, the clearances close up with mileage. And when all the clearance is gone, the valves hang open which can lead to damage.

One of the first signs of valves starting to hang open is hard starting when hot. Keep riding, and the valve will burn and likely crack. Not good.

I don't think Suzuki did anyone a favor by specifying such a tight valve clearance range - .03-.08mm. KZ bikes, with virtually the same valve train design as the GS bikes, use more than double that much clearance.
              Thanks folks - some great advice here.

As for the tight valve clearances, my guess is that Suzuki was trying to keep the engines quiet and also, these late 70's GS bikes were really their first four-strokes so they were gaining experience after being a 2-stroke engine builder. I think they were also spooked after the RE5 debacle which nearly killed the company and were trying to be as conservative as possible on issues like noise and durability.
              Last edited by MaxPete; 02-16-2024, 12:03 PM.
              The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Comment

I took your stupid dealers advice, "Forget about it unless the bike starts running poorly". That's exactly what I did. Bike started running poorly, I took the top end apart and did a valve job, and all was good again. Decided a valve check would have been waaaaay cheaper and easier... Maybe Suzuki was trying to keep you from going through this, and keep the ticking down..
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                X