Having some general issues, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having some general issues, help?

I got an 81 Suzuki gs650 late last year. Im brand new to the moto world and recently got my license. I have a decent amount of work on it. I cleaned the gas tank (gs1100 tank) with vinegar and then gave it a fresh black and red paint job with aftermarket badges. I changed headlight, added sweet wrap around license plate holder, drop down mirrors, changed battery, new fuel filter, and cleaned and tuned the carbs. I’m having some issues that I don’t know where to begin with. Just because my lack of general knowledge.

The Bike starts up and runs nicely when idled. I will be riding and all is well for a little. I get some popping backfire and it seems like the engine lapses. The throttle seems less responsive after that sometimes. I asked a guy I know who is a mechanic and he thinks it could be weak spark? So I ordered spark plugs and will be changing them soon. I saw another post somewhere that said it may be because it’s not supposed to have pods on the carbs? (Came with bike idk what brand/quality.)

after a short ride there is a little bit of smoke, and I can not tell where it’s coming from. The headers are wrapped and I think it may be from there but I’m not sure. It’s not a lot of smoke either, just enough to be noticeable and be concerned about. Is there a general cause?

like I said I’m brand new to this stuff, but I am capable and wanting to soak up knowledge. Any information or tips help. Thank you!
    Starts
    01-28-2024
    Ends
    02-20-2024

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Be sure to turn on signature viewing in your profile, then check mine and go through the Newbie Mistakes thread, to see if anything applies. Also, find Bwinger's archive of Basscliff's website, and download a real manual for your bike. and check the charging voltage on your bike. It should be between 14-14.5 VDC at 5000 rpm.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

BikeCliff’s website (bwringer’s archive of it) is linked in my signature.
        No, your bike is not supposed to have pods. Your CV carbs are particularly tricky to tune for pods. We don’t know if the previous owner (PO) knew what he was doing with regards to proper tuning/jetting for pods or not. Do you know if it ran well for the last guy?
        Header wrap is generally not recommended and is likely hiding something, though some just do it for looks
        Is it smoke, or exhaust coming from somewhere other than the far end of the pipes? I don’t know if there’s any kind of baffle in those custom tips. If not, this bike must be very loud.
        Many people chop/café these bikes solely for the look, with no regard to how they actually run.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm a novice myself, but got an '81 GS850G last year and initially saw similar symptoms: idles nicely, but bogs out when driving on the road and noticeable amount of bluish smoke due to oil burning).

You didn't mention compression - have you checked that? Easy process and good indicator of potential issues. Mine has decent pressure (95psi) in cylinders 1 and 4, but poor pressure (75-80psi) in cylinders 2 and 3 (same readings dry and wet), which I've read is indicative of a head gasket issue. My valve clearances are also on the overly tight side (several below minimum spec).

Mine also has a pesky/minor oil leak that seems to come from the drain plug - need to try a copper compression washer to see if that takes care of it.

Anyway, just a few ideas for you to check into (all of which I've read about on this forum and my Clymer manual as others have stated).

Comment

Originally posted by stru0121 View Post
            Mine has decent pressure (95psi) in cylinders 1 and 4, but poor pressure (75-80psi) in cylinders 2 and 3 (same readings dry and wet), which I've read is indicative of a head gasket issue. My valve clearances are also on the overly tight side (several below minimum spec).
            95 is not a good pressure, should be nearer 150.
            You need to rectify your valve clearances urgently. Then, depending on results, be prepared for taking the head off.
            May as well start getting the bits now.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              95 is not a good pressure, should be nearer 150.
              95? Yikes! Double yikes!!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
              X