X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T - Engine... Out.

01-suzy-engine-out.jpg

I read the manual.

I watched every single video on YouTube.

And I gotta say...

...Getting Suzy's engine out was an absolute pig.

Getting the engine raised high enough for the sump to clear the frame...

...Whilst leaving enough clearance at the top for the cylinder head cover.

In the end, I had to remove the cylinder head cover and one of the coil assemblies.

Which wouldn't have been too bad if I'd done it whilst the engine was still bolted to the frame.

Anyway...

...It's out.

Unfortunately, the abba engine stand I bought for it, don't fit.

So I'm gonna have to get all the paint off, repair the battery acid corrosion on the frame and check the valves BEFORE my wife realises her kitchen kick step has gone missing =)

If you had asked I would have told you to remove the coils and valve cover before trying to remove the engine from the frame. You didn't ask. Anyway, there's a couple of rebuild stories in my signature regarding this bike. Some of it may help. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Can't help you with the paint removal. That may depend on what type of paint stripping chemicals you can get your hands on in the UK.

If you can see my signature, click BikeCliff's website link and grab the GS750ET Service Manual Supplement. It's helpful and covers some things in more detail than you'll find in your Clymer's book. Here's the link if you can't see my signature. https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

You guys that do this kind of tinkering in your back yard (garden) really impress me. I don't think I would try this if I didn't have a garage/workshop.

Good Luck.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I like to remove all parts from the bike, loosen all engine mount bolts, put frame/engine on its side and lift off the frame.

Not much extra work in my opinion.
      Same thing for reinstalling the engine.

Oh, should you take out the front wheel .... may wanna swap discs left/right
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Rijko,
        I didn't notice that at first. It does appear that the slots on the rotor are oriented the wrong way, like someone switched in a right from another bike. Would there be anything wrong with that other that aesthetics? I believe mine is proper. The T only has a single front disk.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

try stuffing a 78 GS1000 engine in a 77 GS750 frame that people across the WWW say it'll slide right in... uh huh. I can prove them wrong LOL
          Current:
          1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
          1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
          1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
          1998 Chevy C2500
          1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Rijko,
            I didn't notice that at first. It does appear that the slots on the rotor are oriented the wrong way, like someone switched in a right from another bike. Would there be anything wrong with that other that aesthetics? I believe mine is proper. The T only has a single front disk.
            I do not know enough about that to answer that well, Rich.

I read up on this topic years ago and found many conflicting opinions, even by experts.

The orientation as on your bike is how Suzuki mounted the discs.
            This way debrees and water are slung out and away, not inward to be re-intruduced to the brake system (reducing brake power and accelerating wear).
            Theoretically - i never noticed less brake power or pads wearing out faster on bikes that i worked on.
            So yes, with our Suzukis i call it aesthetics.

Ventilated or vaned discs are directional.

Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

Rijko,
              Won't make the slightest bit of difference.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The T only has a single front disk.
                LOL and i did not notice that until i re-read, even with your remark.
                Am used to twin discs i guess, and need to pay more attention reading sometimes
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

05-suzy-engine-out.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. Interesting reading.

Fortunately, I've got some paint stripper that works.

Just wish there weren't so many fins to get into =)

Comment

The disc showing in your photo is properly oriented.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                    X