No announcement yet.

Won’t start after a wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe? Still a noob in the moto world. Where/what would the carb vents look like? I was pretty cautious when washing but I didn’t get the engine area pretty heavily, wrapped the pods with towels and made sure nothing got in there

Comment

Just started it up with starter fluid, got a couple of pops as to be expected. As soon as I put it into first it dies. Whats the common senses with that?

Comment

Not being there it's hard to imagine how & what was done. When it started did you use choke? Did you just let it idle and gradually decrease the choke as the rpm's rose as it was warming up? Did it start and keep idling without choke? did you gently rev the eng. to 3 or 4 K while it was up? was it warm and idling fine and when put in 1st it instantly died or was it idling fine in 1st and died when you started to pull away?
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Pretty much yes to everything above. Started in neutral, let it idle for a little and warm up with choke out, gradually put choke back in, revd it a little and it sounded fine. Doesn’t idle in first. Had it in N, clutch in, went down to first and died. No jolt, just died

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            APE pods are nice. You might want to check to see if they have the proper size for your bike...
            APE pods are on my bike (11EZ). Look great and were half the cost of K&Ns.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No jolt means not a stick'in clutch. Well did it do this more than once? Maybe try to get it running and put it from neutral to 2nd instead of 1st.... Wondering if filters are back on as they were when running fine before wash job.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It did do it more than once. Then the battery died, charging it up right now and I’m gonna try again after I hit a good lift. Pods were also put back on so the pods are not the issue. Again just to break it down
                -put the pods back on
                -starter fluid
                -started in neutral
                -went into first the died (multiple times)
                - and I may be going crazy and a seriously stupid question but it caught my eye. Now after the wash it was to roll forward when starting from first, back tire is getting power. This didn’t happen before. Is this common?

Comment

There will always be a slight drag in the clutch when in gear & clutch pulled in, but you said when you had it running and shifted into 1st no jolt, just died, if clutch too tight there should have been a noticeable jolt. I dun'no, May try, put on center stand & get it started in neutral, now to 1st, & see what happens. If eng. doesn't die, with clutch pulled in mash rear brake enough to stop rear wheel & if eng. dies clutch is dragging too much.... Only thing electrical in there while shifting to first is gear position wires, can't see anything there shorting out ign. system.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the gear indicator position over rides the neutral safety switch in the clutch lever, if the clutch lever is in the "open" position the power to the CDI is interrupted causing the engine to stall. Make sure the clutch safety switch is working with a VOM.

If you're going to have trouble with the bike when it gets wet you'd do well to check all the connections, clean them with contact cleaner and put some dielectric grease on them to keep our moisture. Take apart your switch housings and clean up the contacts, you'll be glad you did!
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Okay - update! Got bike started again in neutral with starter fluid. Again I got the issue with it not letting me get into first, as soon as it happens - engine dies. I don’t understand a lot of what is in the post above but it sounds like that may be the issue. Can anyone elaborate?

Comment

Another update. Rode it in first, I don’t know what I did to get it into first. Rode it a little and it’ll not getting all of my cylinders, i had this issue a couple months ago but fixed it and now it’s back. Was told this is a curling issue most likely, what does this mean?

Comment

I have no clues, but glad you're getting it closer to up and running... Will be interesting to hear what finally fixes it.

Comment

So in neutral with starter fluid it will start….but no umph, so likely running on just one or two cylinders. When it starts and runs in neutral, touch the exhaust on each pipe and determine which cylinders are firing.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

About half a century ago I took a car wash up on it's offer to steam clean any engine for $10. The 327 under the hood of my '68 Camaro was rather grimy, and the cleaning didn't much change that, but there was one very noticeable difference.

After they suggested I dry out the inside of the distributor cap, the car started and I went on my merry way. But since then I've been wary of water on engines.

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, last time I took a pressure washer to a bike of mine, one cylinder refused to fire until the engine got proper hot on the other cylinder (and sun) and dried off the water that got under the spark plug cap.

Not sure what your exact situation is, but I'd expect water in the electrical system where it shouldn't be. Have you really, properly dried out the bike? Letting it sit for 48 hours won't do when environmental conditions aren't met (outside/cold/wet weather/unheated, uninsulated garage/etc...).
                                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                                X