No announcement yet.

Oil change intervals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are way too anal about oil changes.

A quote from the owner's manual of my '82 850G manual (the one with the pink cover): "Change the engine oil and oil filter at the initial 600 miles (1,000 km) and also at the initial 4,000 miles (6,000 km) check up. Thereafter, the oil and filter should be changed every 4,000 miles (6,000 km)."

A quote from the Clymer Manual: "Every 4,000 miles (6,000 km) or 12 months: Change engine oil and filter."

Is there some new information? How did we get down to 2,000 miles or less between oil changes, especially with Rotella and the better oils that are around now?

Comment

Hi,

Mr. DPage is right about one thing. We change our oil much more often than factory recommendations.

I just looked through the owner's manual for the GS850G. The oil and filter change were listed to be done at 600, 4000, 7500, 11000, and 15000 miles. Wow. I change the oil in my car every 3000 miles. But I don't mind changing my bike's oil every 2000 miles. I'm hoping to get over 100,000 miles before I have to do any motor work. We'll see.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

My Clymer manual, that covers 8 valve and 16 valve 750's, suggests every 3000kms for the 8 valve (2500km if 78 or earlier) and 5000 or 6000kms for the 16 valve (haven't got the manual handy so I'm not sure the exact amounts).

Why would there be a difference between the two?
        1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
          Is there some new information? How did we get down to 2,000 miles or less between oil changes, especially with Rotella and the better oils that are around now?
          Probably the same way everyone thinks you are supposed to change the oil in your car every 3,000 miles.

I don't know of any car manufacturer that recommends an interval anywhere close to that.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It seems to me the manufacturer's recommendations will be good enough to make it last until the warranty is up. They recommend going 600 or 1000 miles on the first fill of oil in a brand new engine, people who build engines don't do that either. If you want the engine to last longer, change it more often.
            Or not, engine rebuilds are cheaper than all those needless oil changes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Using Rotella around 2-2,500 miles and the shifting gets clunky. when it shifts funky, it's time to change the oil.

Amsoil 15w50 went around 6,000 miles before I had to change it.

"filter with every oil change."
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I think how you ride makes a big difference. When I ride in the summer its usually 80 miles a day during the week commuting and another 200ish on weekends or fun. I DO NOT change my oil every other week though.

I would say I change it depending on what I have done and whats coming up, a fresh change before a big trip is common. New oil in the spring, then once mid summer, and once in the fall before I pack it for winter. Maybe its not perfect but better than the car. I do that every 7-8k miles. Same thing though mostly highway and if I did it every 3k would be monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Probably the same way everyone thinks you are supposed to change the oil in your car every 3,000 miles.

I don't know of any car manufacturer that recommends an interval anywhere close to that.

I don't know of any cars with wet clutches, gearbox lubricated by the engine oil and that routinely runs at 7,000 - 10,000 RPM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Get yourself a Suzuki and you won't have that problem.

I was referring to my Suzuki...

My Kawasaki doesn't burn any oil.

Comment

Working...
                    X