No announcement yet.

Whats the x on shim mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve for your input. I have a Clymers manual for my 450 twin and it just shows the one cam lobe position. When I adjusted the valves on the 650g the manual noted the two positions you wrote of, which I followed. It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      Thanks Steve for your input. I have a Clymers manual for my 450 twin and it just shows the one cam lobe position.
      OK, twin noted, but you had not mentioned which bike you were working on. You have several in your sig, but did not say which one.

Although we had a 450 in the garage a few years ago, I don't remember ever adjusting the valves on it, so I don't know what is called for in the way of cam position. Generally, having the lobe pointing away from the valve is good, but in the case of the fours, spreading them apart a bit will keep either one of them from pushing on a valve, assuring consistent readings.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On the 450 twin, would it not make sense to check valve clearance for one cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, since this is when you really want the intake and exhaust valves to both be closed to assure maximum compression? Both intake and exhaust cam lobe will be at 90 deg. from valve stem.

Comment

I've never understood the need of the X shims when so many, new and old, shims are incorrectly sized anyway - eg a marked up 2.65 is actually 2.67. Measuring every shim with a caliper is essential - don't rely on the numbers.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            I've never understood the need of the X shims when so many, new and old, shims are incorrectly sized anyway - eg a marked up 2.65 is actually 2.67. Measuring every shim with a caliper is essential - don't rely on the numbers.
            I measure all my shims. The only time I have seen one with a different measurement than the number printed on it, it was due to measuring technique. I will wipe the shim, wipe the jaws of the caliper, check to make sure they read 0.000, then measure the shim at several points around the shim. A 2.65 shim might get measurements of 2.645, 2.65 or 2.655, depending on whether there is a speck of dust on the shim or I am squeezing a bit tighter, but they all measure 2.65.

On the other hand, a 2.65x might read 2.67 or 2.68, but there is no guarantee that the "X" means exactly half-way.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, so any tricks to actually getting the shims out? That's where I'm struggling on my valve job.

Oops. And I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Comment

Did you find the little cutaway section in the bucket? The bucket rotates around. I slip a very fine screw driver in that cut out and gently lift the shim above the rim of the bucket. I have a pair of long needle nose pliers which I use to pull and jiggle the shim up between the cam and bucket. No magnets, or so I read somewhere. I think Basscliff site has some pictures and discription. Check it out. If not PM me and I'll take a picture.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks. I did find the little notch. I'll try this first thing in the a.m.

Comment

Where is info on this zip tie method? I absolutely HATE that little tool. My wife kept coming to the garage door wondering who I was screaming at...
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It's at Basscliffs site, below 8 valve, valve adjustment.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Coolness. Thanks!
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Well, that looks a whole lot easier. Maybe I can finish this job without all the cussing...
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            Where is info on this zip tie method? I absolutely HATE that little tool. My wife kept coming to the garage door wondering who I was screaming at...
                            I read that article on BassCliff's site. I know this sounds dumb but..is there no worry about the ziptie getting "snipped" by the valve and leaving a chunk in the cyl?

I had the tool when I had my first '78 1000...greatest thing since sliced bread

Comment

Originally posted by Rick65Cat View Post
                              I read that article on BassCliff's site. I know this sounds dumb but..is there no worry about the ziptie getting "snipped" by the valve and leaving a chunk in the cyl?

I had the tool when I had my first '78 1000...greatest thing since sliced bread
                              My thoughts exactly! I work with (wood) tools everyday. I can gererally master them in time.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Rick65Cat View Post
                                I've never lost a bit of zip tie in there and have used the trick dozens of times.
                                79 GS1000S
                                79 GS1000S (another one)
                                80 GSX750
                                80 GS550
                                80 CB650 cafe racer
                                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                                X