Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screwdriver

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
    I have not. I could take them off and give them a nice dip, but I would not know where to begin with rebuilding them. From the sounds of your site, I am going to have to bring my bike to a shop as I am at school with VERY limited tools. What a pain and huge waste of $$$$$$
    Seriously...it's a LOT easier than you think. You will need a screwdriver.

A few more tools will help it go easier but it can all be done with...a screwdriver. There is no need to even consider taking it to a shop. They will charge hundreds and may not do it right anyway. Follow the carb cleanup series on basscliff's web site step by step and you'll be fine. It's a lot easier than you think. Seriously....these carbs are just not that complicated.

If you want to get into some specialty tools; a small pick set will help remove the old o-rings. You'll need to hammer the pin out of the floats...and need to do it carefully so you don't break the post off. And you may need a small long-nose needle nose pliers. A 14 mm wrench gets the choke valve off. And of course the specialty tool mentioned in the cleanup series; one bristle off of a steel brush stuck into a wooden match. I use the twist tie from a loaf of bread (some paper removed and bent inot a small hook) to remove the little o-rings and washers from the mixture screws.

If you just change the o-rings you'll be miles ahead. Total cleaning is best, but your leaking problem will most likely be solved with new o-rings.

Comment

changed the oil. took it for 2 rides today and no leaking after either. could the o-rings have sealed?

Comment

changed the oil. took it for 2 rides today and no leaking after either. could the o-rings have sealed?
        ...or the carb floats got "un-stuck", or the float valve/needle and seats are making better closure, or the petcock has started behaving itself. I wouldn't be surprised if this is only a temporary reprieve. Keep an eye on it. But if you fix it right the first time you won't have to worry about it for another 20 years or so. New hoses, new petcock, new O-rings installed in clean carbs is all you need.

Cheap float valves: https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...&category=carb

Full carb O-ring kit: http://cycleorings.com

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Was the oil stinky like gas? The higher viscosity of gassy oil could cause your 'slipping'. You did replace the filter too - right?

Your story reminds me of when i got my new manual petcock and forgot to turn it off when i got to where I was going. I had parked it on the side stand and gas dripped down into the engine case.

Comment

I have not. I could take them off and give them a nice dip, but I would not know where to begin with rebuilding them. From the sounds of your site, I am going to have to bring my bike to a shop as I am at school with VERY limited tools. What a pain and huge waste of $$$$$$
            Dude... don't worry about this - you can do this yourself. When I got my bike I had NO idea what I was doing - and I still don't!

Fixing the bike is part of owning it - and I'm having fun doing it. You will as well, and you will feel far more like the bike is yours once you make it better than it was when you got it.

The members on this site are awesome and will definitely be able to help you along. Without this site I would have been lost before I got started. If you want to put some money into your bike a donation to this site is a great start!

And an added benefit for me - my girlfriend thinks it's hot that I can fix a motorcycle.

Comment

And the tutorials on Bikecliff's site are awesomely good!

Comment

Working...
              X