Brake pulsating at lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
    Had the same exact pulsation on my 1100. It's warped rotor(s) plain and simple. I do machining by trade, made a spacial arbor stub to hold the GS rotors, and skim cut until I got the rotors to within the spec runout (I beleive it was .012" ) ? Mine were warped pretty bad, got them right at the spec limit, and pulsation was gone.

He also is running new EBC rotors which are floating so run out is not as much of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      This does not explain how hard brake applications can fix so many pulsating brakes.
      Just the other day I noticed my 750 starting to pulsate a little, went out an cooked them by braking hard a few times, now it is smooth as silk again.
      If you have gotten contaminates on the rotors, they can pulse when applied lightly, but hard breaking can 'burn' off some containments.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
        If you have gotten contaminates on the rotors, they can pulse when applied lightly, but hard breaking can 'burn' off some containments.
        OK, believe what you want to.
        I'll believe the experts this time.
        All I know is it works.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, those links were interesting. But, with my calipers removed and by rotating the wheel I can see with my naked eye the rotor moving side to side in an irregular pattern.
          These are the rotors I bought from a forum member (pousseux or something) here that wouldnt refund what I paid for them. deadbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            But, with my calipers removed and by rotating the wheel I can see with my naked eye the rotor moving side to side in an irregular pattern.
            These are the rotors I bought from a forum member (pousseux or something) here that wouldnt refund what I paid for them. deadbeat.
            Well, yeah, those are probably not going to straighten out too easy.
            So he's a deadbeat, huh?
            I had not heard that.

Comment

I was looking at some new rotors on ebay for a decent price, but they are from China What do you think?

Comment

Some stuff from China is acceptable, some is not.
                A lot of car brake discs come from there, but this is a bike, different stakes.
                Try it and if it makes you crash, I won't try it?

Comment

LOL No I wont be your guinea pig.

Comment

This does not explain how hard brake applications can fix so many pulsating brakes.
                    Just the other day I noticed my 750 starting to pulsate a little, went out an cooked them by braking hard a few times, now it is smooth as silk again.
                    Then it's not your rotors. You have developed Parkinson's Disease in your right index finger. Maybe it's time to see a doctor.

Comment

ADD, Parkinsons, whatever.

Did you even read the stuff I posted?
                      It's not new, this stuff has been known for a long time, by some people.

Comment

ADD, Parkinsons, whatever.

Did you even read the stuff I posted?
                        It's not new, this stuff has been known for a long time, by some people.
                        Do you even know how to laugh or not get pi$$y with everyone on GSR who writes a reply ?

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          What are the other causes apart from warped rotors?
                          I believe the wheel bearings are fine too.

Could caliper problem cause it?

These are Kawasaki with the plastic inserts inside the piston that push against the pad... Maybe if they're worn at an angle or something? First time I have come across it like this.

The rotors are brand new EBC so I know they're straight!
                          Are you sure the pulsing is only at the lever or could the front end have a shudder that's most noticable at the bars and lever? Does it happen at a certain speed range (such as 40 to 60) or all the time?
                          A cupped tire can cause things that make you think you have a warped rotor. The cupping doesn't have to look that bad to cause problems.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It's 100% that it's brake related. Most noticeable at light pressure. The not "bedding them in" makes sense to me so I'll give that a go first...

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X