No announcement yet.

Tips for preparing for a "long" trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one thing to remember on any distance trip..................
    TOOLS
    I never go anywhere without at least a basic set.
    Longer trip...more tools.
    I have been given grief by others,not here,about the tools I carry.
    BUT, I always carry them but hardly need them.And yet when I do, I have been able to get myself and others out of jams.
    Dependent on your feeling, carry what.
    For by 28 year old enduro, I carry just enough to do a trail-side engine tear down
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
      Just one thing to remember on any distance trip..................
      TOOLS
      I never go anywhere without at least a basic set.
      Longer trip...more tools.
      I have been given grief by others,not here,about the tools I carry.
      BUT, I always carry them but hardly need them.And yet when I do, I have been able to get myself and others out of jams.
      Dependent on your feeling, carry what.
      For by 28 year old enduro, I carry just enough to do a trail-side engine tear down
      Tools! Sometimes a simple screwdriver can spare you an outrageous towing charge.

Comment

I believe my tools worked on no less than four bikes at last year's Moosehead.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          I believe my tools worked on no less than four bikes at last year's Moosehead.
          My tools worked on one bike no less than four times at Fennimore last year...

Hello Dom? Hello?
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

So what your saying is.....I need to take tools? Got it!!! I plan on putting a tool roll in the tail compartment and some in my backpack. Socket set, wrench set, screwdrivers, extra fuses, flashlight, qt of oil(!).
            I've put 44 miles on it since Monday.
            Yesterday had and exhaust leak (on #2)Hmmm.... found the left front cam housing came loose, and my brand new headlight died. I retightened the exhaust bolt (could that be causing the blueing?), chased the threads for the cam housing bolts and lock tited (red) them, and put a multimeter on the headlight connection. its getting voltage, but not staying steady. Is that right?
            Also, on Tuesday I checked the plugs, #1 wet, #2 sooty #3 sooty/good #4 wet. And also found the #2 plug wire boot had to go WAY down on the plug to get connected, so I'm thinking it might have not been connected completely. Would that also have anything to do with the blueing? Changed the oil on Tuesday and put new half moon seals on.
            The mechanic said he rejetted, but couldn't remember what sizes he put on. Ummm.. thanks jackass.

Comment

In addition to basic tools--small led flashlight--disposable cigarette lighter--zip ties--extra wire--extra bulbs--ziplock bags--during a rain storm, you can save your cell phone, wallet, ipod etc..--extra key--don't lose your bike key 50 miles from home--if you wear contacts, carry a spare set--too hard to ride home in the rain and/or dark with only 1 good eye! Guess how I know this. RIDE SAFE!

Comment

It didn't happen..

Well, I never got to ride down to Myrtle Beach. The friggin' left side cam bearing housing bolts gave way and I didn't want to ride it that far clickity clacking. I helicoiled the two outside bolt holes, but can't get to the two inside ones without taking off the head (again) or using a really long 1/4" drill bit, which I don't have much confidence in. And I need to change that head gasket anyway...... Better luck next month!

Comment

Working...
                X