Well, that was weird...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    Steve would have caught it today as he was looking the thing over.
    Possibly, but I did not open the tank.

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
    Although your bike is a 10 cosmetically, ...
    Al, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

I saw the bike today, it's at least an 11 or a 12.

The only real fault I could find was some REALLY OLD tires (won't mention the date code, but they were REALLY OLD).

On the plus side, a previous owner had installed a relay to cut out the headlight when the starter button was pushed.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know which petcock the 1000 has, but the GS850 has a vacuum petcock, and the diaphragm is rubber, subject the the same ageing process as the rest of the bike.

I had a problem with mine, the diaphragm would permit the carb bowls to fill, but on a longish run would not replenish the bowls. The bike would die very quickly due to fuel starvation, but would start again after sitting for a few minutes. The alternative was to disconnect the vacuum tube from the carbs and sucking hard (strictly a get-you-home trick) to refill the carb bowls.

Solution - new diaphragm / petcock.

Regards

Si

Comment

Originally posted by Big Si View Post
        I don't know which petcock the 1000 has, but the GS850 has a vacuum petcock, and the diaphragm is rubber, subject the the same ageing process as the rest of the bike.

I had a problem with mine, the diaphragm would permit the carb bowls to fill, but on a longish run would not replenish the bowls. The bike would die very quickly due to fuel starvation, but would start again after sitting for a few minutes. The alternative was to disconnect the vacuum tube from the carbs and sucking hard (strictly a get-you-home trick) to refill the carb bowls.

Solution - new diaphragm / petcock.

Regards

Si
        That's an interesting thought. And I remember another thread about this recently. I wonder if that could also be heat related because on my 1+ hour ride yesterday with no problems, it was a lot cooler than the other day. hmmm
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

My 80 GS450L pulled that on my once. I guessed the petcock stuck closed. Flipped to "prime" for 5 seconds and in a couple of cranks it fired. I think it just stuck closed because it had been sitting. Around that same time I got a little fuel overflow meaning it stuck open. Neither has happened again since a few tanks of clean gas with a bit of Sea Foam.

Comment

Your carb vent hoses are not too long are they? If they're too long fuel won't flow to the carbs properly on an extended long run. I think they should stop just below the airbox.

I had that problem on my 850 before.

Buddy
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

a fuel delivery problem has nothing to do with the carbs there self.
              fuel valve/cap vent ect ect....

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                Your carb vent hoses are not too long are they? If they're too long fuel won't flow to the carbs properly on an extended long run. I think they should stop just below the airbox.

I had that problem on my 850 before.

Buddy
                Nope. Pretty much just as you described.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  a fuel delivery problem has nothing to do with the carbs there self.
                  fuel valve/cap vent ect ect....
                  Good point.
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

This does sound like a fuel tap / vacuum problem. My 850 did this too me, but it was always a gradual death at steady throttle. A later intermittent problem turned out to be a crimp connector on the ignition wire that I had never noticed before. Just moving it a little was enough to turn the bike on or off.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X