No announcement yet.

manual cam chain tensioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the manual tensioner yesterday and put it in today. Didn't solve my ticking problem. Bummer. Any other ideas of what it could be? Other than a noisy engine, it runs really good.

On a side note, I discovered another little gem on this bike. One of the PO's isntalled a hidden kill switch. Kind of a cool idea for theft deterrant.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Any other ideas of what it could be?
      Could be worn cam chain components.

Have you adjusted the valves lately? An overly loose valve could make a ticking noise.

Does the noise change with engine RPM or is it constant?

Comment

Did a valve adjustment and all are within spec. I actually hear it intermittantly, mostly under heavy load. But when it's sitting and idling, it sounds like a dang threshing machine.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

When you adjusted the valves, did you measure the cam chain for stretch?

The manual has a procedure to show you how its done.

Comment

Did you check the inside of the valve cover for any wear marks? I found one a valve cover that was apparently warped some how, and the chain was contacting the inside of the valve cover riding across the front sprocket. swapped valve covers and it went bye bye. But, you should check your chain as suggested. I have YET to find one out of spec, but its certainly possible.

Comment

No, didn't check the chain. I was figuring the valve adjustment would take care of it. Guess I'll have to get back in there sometime soon.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                ape is billet/anodized billet ya goof
                You can polish off that blue anodizing if you want.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Got the manual tensioner yesterday and put it in today. Didn't solve my ticking problem. Bummer. Any other ideas of what it could be? Other than a noisy engine, it runs really good.

On a side note, I discovered another little gem on this bike. One of the PO's isntalled a hidden kill switch. Kind of a cool idea for theft deterrant.
                  Where are these APE or other brand manual tensioners purchased from? I need to be shipped to Australia..

Comment

Originally posted by OzJavelin View Post
                    Where are these APE or other brand manual tensioners purchased from? I need to be shipped to Australia..
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      You can polish off that blue anodizing if you want.

Wow Bruce! Those ports look TINY!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Lotsa cool stuff there. Shame I'm a bit "spoiled" about the price; a guy on the Kawasaki Forums builds these (I have one for my GPz750 and my ZR550) for $38.50 shipped to me in Australia (with a new gasket). Oh well .. suppy and demand

Comment

Working...
                        X