Questions about shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what caused my "seat Mohawk":

I found the missing piece off the back side, just could not get it to stay with the rest of the shim long enough to tape it in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but this is what happens to the shim when the tool slips?? I haven't taken this apart yet on my bike, and trying to get mental picture of what you're talking about.

Comment

That is but one possibility. If the shim is resting slightly lifted out of its spot in the bucket and the "special tool" slips out, the rapidly closing valve will press as much of the shim as it can into place. However, since some of it is supported on the raised edge, ...

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          That is but one possibility. If the shim is resting slightly lifted out of its spot in the bucket and the "special tool" slips out, the rapidly closing valve will press as much of the shim as it can into place. However, since some of it is supported on the raised edge, ...

Hey Steve, dont have to hold the valve open with the shim tool with one hand?(never used one)
          I like to have both hands while working the shim into the bucket.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If you get it locked into position right, you don't have to hold it, it'll stay locked in place.
            Unless, apparently, it slips at an inoportune moment, as apparently has happened to more than one user on here.
            Zip ties are cheaper, and if Steve say they work, I'd bet a hat they do, and from reading the tutorial, I don't see a downside, unless you're afraid your buddies'll razz ya for it.

Comment

With the "zip-tie" method, the only downside I've heard of (and I think this comes from Steve or Nessim) is that IF the plastic tie pushes any burnt carbon up into to the valve stem/mushroom you are measuring WHEN you measure it the first time, it could affect the valve clearance the SECOND time you measure it. So just make sure you're extra careful when measuring the first time. In practical experience, I've found the measurements are the same, but in theory this could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
                With the "zip-tie" method, the only downside I've heard of ...
                Well, here is another 'downside':

While helping shibby_cbs adjust his valves last week, the fold at the end of my zip-tie broke.

I don't think there were any pieces left in the cylinder, but I will now recommend using a new zip-tie every couple of valve adjustments.

I think that particular zip-tie has adjusted the valves on half a dozen or so bikes, so get a new one sooner than that.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X