No announcement yet.

79 Honda Gold Wing GL1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owned this fine looking and running example.

I hated it. It is so long that you have to lean it way over to make it turn, and it doesn't turn very well. The throttle is super slow acting, and it takes two turns to open it practically.

Fast?

No. Not at all.

I got rid of mine right away and continued my search for another GS1000G instead. I sold it to my brother. He picked it up an my mother's place in Anaheim and rode it to Phoenix. He hated it equally. Now he is happy with an 850G.

He sold it to another guy who loves it dearly.

I like a bike to be far more agile and faster than the Wing. By todays standards a Suzuke G is neither fast nor agile, but compared to a Wing of the period it sure is.

Oh yeah. The seat is horrible compared to an early "G" as well. It feels bouncy like it has springs or something.

Neither of us kept it long, but we had no trouble with it.

Final note:

Putting instruments on the top of the tank is an engineering decision people who like to use tank bags, like me, really appreciate. But then who would ever imagine that a touring rider might use a tank bag?
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      I owned this fine looking and running example.
      No disrespect to you but sometiimes with the vintage jap bike ugly looks good but not in this case.
      That thing sure is ugly.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'd like to add my .02 worth here. I gave serious thought to buying an older Wing a yr or so ago. The guys on this forum, which I have the utmost respect and appreciation for, talked me out of it. I stopped looking for one for the time being. Then, last month, I went to look at a cherry '83(?) model that was for sale at a very reasonable price. I was extremely impressed with the overall appearance. If only it had performed half as good as it looked. I was thankful I wasn't going more than 25 when I came into the 1st turn. It wallowed so bad that I got on the brakes to slow down as quickly as possible. Too bad the brakes were pretty much non-existant. After coming to a stop, I opened it up for the long straight ahead of me. I was as disappointed with the acceleration as I was with the brakes.
        I decided to pass on it rather than get into an "updating" project. Great looking bike though and I hope you have a far better experience with the one you're considering.
        Good luck,
        Willie
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          No disrespect to you but sometiimes with the vintage jap bike ugly looks good but not in this case.
          That thing sure is ugly.
          I bought it from a HS shop teacher who aparently was having students work on old bikes in class. It had rebuilt carbs, a new water pump, cleaned and polished engine covers, etc. They had mounted HD style tail light and turn signal as well as the light bar in front with the extra lights. I think they were trying to do a Japanese Road King or something. The whole effect was really not my thing, but it was a handsome machine in its own way, and a real clean example of what it was. I just wanted to have a bike suitable for longer rides when I visited my relatives in So Cal at Christmas time. I think I paid $1500 for it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as I said, it really wasn't my thing. It got lots of favorable comments everywhere I parked it though. I never liked the look of Gold Wings, and that type, with the fake gas tank sloping forward and the gage pod on it, I like less than most of them. None the less, it was a fine looking example of what it was. Queen of the leper colony, maybe.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by KDS111 View Post
            Hello All,
            I went today to look at a 79 Gold Wing GL1000.
            It's been sitting for about 10 months. It has a been converted to electronic ignition. New stator. Water cooled. It is complete and original in appearance.
            Vetter fairing, bags and trunk. Highway bars and lights. recovered seat.
            I'm told it ran fine. The battery is no good. I have not heard it run yet, that will happen over the weekend when the owner gets a new battery.
            He is asking $850.00. Can I get some feedback, opinions, etc.

Sounds an ok deal if the motor's running ok, although the 1100 is a better bike if you're set on a goldwing. It's better engineered with better carbs, brakes and suspension. More power too. Easy enough bike to maintain, but clutch, alternator and starter issues means motor out to fix, so check carefully.

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            In the early model 1000cc wings, there were two problems that I've read about, only experienced one of them helping my buddy out. Somewhere along the line, the starter on his was replaced by the PO (just like a zuke, crank too long, overheat....) and a bike shop replaced that replacement starter for him with the wrong one. I looked that up on an old 'wing forum a few years ago, and they said it was common for that starter problem to happen and also for bike shops to substitute one that wasn't really the correct one for the bike. Another one was the timing chain for driving the camshafts. If it sounds extra noisy, it's getting ready to fail, and it will take out a lot of components when it does due to valve/piston interference.

Hmmm, maybe you and your buddy should do a bit more research. It doesn't have a timing chain. It uses belts. 2 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post

Hmmm, maybe you and your buddy should do a bit more research. It doesn't have a timing chain. It uses belts. 2 of them.
              That's what I meant, just not what I wrote, I guess I'm used to the timing chains on our 'Zukes now.

Comment

I had both a GL1000 and Gl1100. Put about 60k miles on the 1000 and 60k miles on the 1100. Both bikes were completely reliable. The 1100 had better low power throttle response while the 1000 had better power over 6000 RPM.

My 1000 was a 77. Yes it had some carberation issues, but they were solved by rejetting. The 1100 was an 80 Interstate. The stator required replacement in the 1100, however on installation I soldered the leads from the stator eliminating the connector. (sound familiar?) No problems after that.

The carberation issues in the 1000 were largely eliminated in the 78, 79 models by going to smaller carbs and different jetting.

The cam belts are rubber toothed belts just like in some cars. They are easy to replace taking about an hour maybe and hour and a half. I did both the 1100 and 1000. Did not require removal of the radiator.

I had some difficulty with the starter on the 1100, however all it took was a good cleaning, new brushes and resolder a broken wire. The starter is extremely easy to get out, taking me about 10-15 minutes.

In terms of handling. They both handled far better than a bike of that size and era should. The weight is down low making the slow speed handling very easy. Do they handle like a GS. No, but they were not meant to. I was able to lean over far enough to wear out my pegs and scratch up the exhaust. As far as a GS? No, but they were meant to be long distance haulers giving good mileage and comfort.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely in a minute if I had the resources to own more than one bike.

They were both a great ride easy to work on and required limited maintenance.

Mike

Comment

my buddy bought a 78 model wing for 500 bucks. We replaced the coils (one was missing) and removed the fairing and saddle bags. Fixed the wiring where the fairing was wired in and fired her up but just for a few seconds as a test. Now the other night we had to tear out basically the whole rear of the bike. Fender, rear tire and final drive (differential) and rear brake master cylinder as well as the shocks had to be removed in order to slide the tank out the back so that we can clean it out and coat it. Talk about a mess! parts are everywhere.

Im trying to talk him into re-selling it and just getting a GS
                  ---Eric

Comment

sexy goldwings....

sorry but,,, i really think those cafe goldwings in naked goldwings are sexy.. or a work of art any way thanks fellas regards david

Comment

Here's mine:

I didn't like the standard look of it so I got the grinder and the matt black spray at it.
                      I cut most of the foam out of the seat and got rid of most of the chrome bits.
                      I put on a set of MZ indicators and a Kawasaki H1 rear light to replace the enormous original items,
                      Head light is a 50's unit which I soldered a H4 socket into, though it doesn't light up much.
                      I cut the end off the pipes, as I felt they were a bit stifled and went up 2 sizes on the main jets for a better flow.
                      I replaced the HT leads with taylor Leads as the originals were perished.
                      It doesn't handle as well as a GS, but it's good for all day comfort and it'll hold a steady 90 for hours on end.
                      Wipe of an oily rag once in a while and fresh oil and filter every 4000 miles is all it gets.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X