No announcement yet.

Broken sidecover tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A slight modification to my previous post, is to cut the plastic pin off all together and replace it with a stud or bolt of slightly longer reach secured in its place with two mix epoxy, which then pushes through the rubber grommet, you then secure it with a flat washer and nut from the inside.
    That way it is very secure and cannot be seen from the outside, preserving the original look of the cover with no holes drilled and bolt heads visible from the outside.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM. Reason: My kak spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      A slight modification to my previous post, is to cut the plastic pin off all together and replace it with a stud or bolt of slightly longer reach secured in its place with two mix epoxy, which then pushes through the rubber grommet, you then secure it with a flat washer and nut from the inside.
      That way it is very secure and cannot be seen from the outside, preserving the original look of the cover with no holes drilled and bolt heads visible from the outside.
      Ok seeing your last idea, I will continue on with
      101 ways to fix your side cover tabs............

You could epoxy one end of this quick release into the cover and use the other side to hold through a frame mounted metal tab or use as a tab.

Same idea but just use one of these instead of as a bolt and put the pin in to secure the cover

Since I put in aluminum tabs, it would be a simple matter to drill through and use one of the Hitch Clips. I kinda like this. I have never had an issue with one of my covers falling off and I don't want to have to use a wrench to take off the cover and I have already fixed it anyway.

Anybody else

Hitch Clips: good for axles instead of cotter pins

http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/hardware/150-piece-hitch-clip-assortment-67557.html

Comment

Good Idea there, further on my post.....
        102 use a wing nut as opposed to a normal nut, no wrench reqired.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Good Idea there, further on my post.....
          102 use a wing nut as opposed to a normal nut, no wrench reqired.
          I went and looked at my GS1100ED and it hard to get to any of the tabs under the covers. Also the covers are actually held on with my Corbin seat. So I'm good I think

Comment

More people steal them old side covers then yould think. I had a buddy who had his KZ650 up for sale in a lot & came back to find the side covers gone. First thing I thought is who even wants a KZ650 let alone the side covers. If I take my 1105 KZ1000 out to run the snot out of it I take the side covers off first or they will blow off at high speed.. Since then I drill tiny holes for small cotter pins in the ends

Comment

Working...
            X