Seafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam

I was just thinking, (I know, I know, take 2 asperin and the pain will go away), on the other forum that I frequent for my tin top, the BMW E30 forum, there is a lot of mention of a product called Seafoam, to clean out and keep injectors and fuel systems in top notch condition.
    It seems as if the product is well respected and highly recommended by the members and those in the know.
    My question is, with the GS's sensitive carb and induction system, that is prone to all manner of illnesses unless in tip top shape, how come I never see mention of this product or the use thereof as preventitive maintanence on this forum?
    Please do not mis-understand, I do not mean te use of it as a "mechanic in a can" but rather as an on going treatment to keep the induction system clean, scale and varnish free and in top condition, it would prevent things such as siezed mixture screws and the like, am I missing something here.
    Your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM. Reason: My kak spelling

I use it just about 500 or so miles before a change out and a couple caps full every third of so tank, depending on how shes running. Just follow the instructions.

Comment

You'll hear both good and bad on Seafoam, but the concensus is that it does do some good (and no harm). I've used it in the past in the tank but I must admit I didn't see any obvious positive impact. Didn't seem to hurt anything though...

Comment

I've used it. I think it's good stuff. I'll bet if you do a search on it, you'll find some posts about it.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Seafoam is the cat's arse. (In a good way )

A lot of the members here use Marvel Mystery Oil, but I am trying to slowly convert them all.

Seafoam is great stuff, The first thing I do when purchasing a new-to-me vehicle is give it a good dose of Seafoam. While it cannot be heralded as a mechanic in a can, it sure can aid in keeping your fuel system clean by adding a cap-full with every top-up.

One big plus is once you load-up your engine with Seafoam, you can put on a pretty good smoke-show.

I used Sea Foam and poured into my carberator velocity stacks and also into my gas tank. I let the Sea Foam sit overnight in the carbs and gas tank. The res...

Comment

Huh?

You "never see mention of it used as preventative maintenance on this forum"???? Do a 'search' and you'll find hours of reading material. Seafoam isn't the most 'dead horse beaten subject' on the website but it would certainly be in the 'top 50'...maybe even higher but, God, there are so very many!!
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sea Foam is great stuff that will do what it claims to do so long as you follow the directions. Definitely not a "mechanic in a can", but it does make the "mechanic not in the can's" life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                I've used it. I think it's good stuff. I'll bet if you do a search on it, you'll find some posts about it.
                SOME posts the man says,

You will find a bunch of posts, if your carbs are reasonably clean it will keep them clean, 1/2 a can on two successive tanks in the spring. God help anyone following me because the bike will smoke, but it has kept me from ever needing to tear into my carbs.

Comment

OK then, so it is widely used by the GS community, I did not do a search, because I have no query on it, just found it strange that I had not seen it mentioned.
                  Now if only I could get my hands on some of the stuff, you guys.....and ladies on that side of the pond are indeed lucky, even sent them an email direct about getting some shipped out here, they were not interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X