Tach question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach question

I have to replace the o ring in my tach drive. I took out the bolt and retainer plate and tried to pull out the drive. It will not come out. Is it because the o ring has hardened, or am I missing something. I can turn it with my fingers. I don't know how hard I should be prying on it. Thanks for any advice. 1979 GS750E 8 valve.

I had the same problem on my 550 and, after removing the retainer screw, pried gently around the circumference of the drive until it loosened.

Comment

Hi,

On my bike, there is a little locking tab with a screw that must be removed. Then you must use a couple of screwdrivers to gently pry it out. You might try turning the motor just a little to relieve any pressure on the tack gear so that it comes out uninhibited. Click the link below. See if the documentation will help you. Let us know.

Replace Tach Cable Seals

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You may have to get anothr screwdriver in there for some additional leverage....but, something like this.

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

You guys are great. Got both seals changed this weekend and no more leak. Thanks for all your help. Great having knowledgable people to call on.

Comment

Got both seals and new cable on the way for mine, tired of the oil on my crash bars.

Comment

Working...
            X