Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

master cylinder rebuild - seeking identification/advice

Greetings all,

It's time to rebuild the m/c in my stock 1980 GS400E (and in one belonging to my buddy too).

I have to order parts and i am not sure exactly which kit will fit.
    This looks like what i want: part#59600-45841, but how to be sure?
    Here are some photos from my caliper rebuild:

you - "why didn't you do the m/c when you replaced the line Jagir?"
    me - "duh....."

I really do not want to deal with the hassle of returning it if it arrives and is the wrong piece. How about opinions regarding original Suzuki parts ($50ish) vs aftermarket ($30ish)? It's brakes so price doesn't matter, but if I can save some cash, I can lubricate my throat with beer while I work.

Furthermore, I do not want to tear my m/c apart (for reference) until it's time to do the overhaul. I'm still sneaking in some rides here and there so I do not want to disable the bike and I don't want to deal with brake fluid clean-up more than once.

Also, I figured that there are probably a hundred or more people on here who could identify it instantly, provide me with a link to the part, probably for the best price and most likely with some other great piece of advice.

If it matters, I am looking for two of these kits and one newish reservoir (because I will be working on two of these bikes)

Thanks in advance

Can't help you with your selection, but I do feel the need to comment on an observation.

You said "It's brakes so price doesn't matter", so I get the impression that you feel that brakes are rather important.

Then you said "... I can lubricate my throat with beer while I work." Even if I drank, I would hold off "lubricating the throat" until after the brake work is done.

One more suggestion, while you have the master cylinder apart, ... make sure you clean out that tiny little bleed hole in the bottom of the reservoir. That has been plugging up on several of the newcomers who have tried cleaning their brakes and did not know about that hole. If you don't clean it, you will only get a couple of miles down the road and the brakes will lock up on you. Usually slowly enough that it won't put you down, but you will not be able to move the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jagir, this is that little voice in the back of your head. Listen to him about the cleaning part as I'm one of those unlucky newcomers that didn't clean it very well. I got about 4 days of riding - over 150 miles and mine did exactly that.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

points taken.

will clean the tiny hole with one bristle from a wire brush and celebrate after.

Comment

re

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
          points taken.

will clean the tiny hole with one bristle from a wire brush and celebrate after.

The put it in the dishwasher after you open up the passage, and otherwise clean it, and it will be ready to build. It works pretty good. You can lubricate your throat during the rinse cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Can't help you with your selection, but I do feel the need to comment on an observation.

You said "It's brakes so price doesn't matter", so I get the impression that you feel that brakes are rather important.

Then you said "... I can lubricate my throat with beer while I work." Even if I drank, I would hold off "lubricating the throat" until after the brake work is done.

One more suggestion, while you have the master cylinder apart, ... make sure you clean out that tiny little bleed hole in the bottom of the reservoir. That has been plugging up on several of the newcomers who have tried cleaning their brakes and did not know about that hole. If you don't clean it, you will only get a couple of miles down the road and the brakes will lock up on you. Usually slowly enough that it won't put you down, but you will not be able to move the bike.

Do you mean this little bleed hole? Looks much bigger than a one wire bristle.
            (Photo is taken with a light shining down the cylinder)

Comment

here's a photo of the mess in there

The rubber boot that keeps it clean in there was a little bit busted up at the bottom. It seems that the rubber was compromised and the metal inside the rubber boot at the bottom rusted a bit. The oxidation seems to have spread down the shaft of the piston.

It's taken a while, but I'm glad I am fixing this all up.

Comment

You will want to clean that reservoir up some more because I think the return hole is in the 1130 - 12 o'clock position from the way I'm reading the picture. If you don't, the brakes will lock up and you won't go very far very fast (if you stay upright).

Ask me how I know.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post
                  Do you mean this little bleed hole? Looks much bigger than a one wire bristle.
                  (Photo is taken with a light shining down the cylinder)
                  No, the "tiny little hole" (otherwise known as "that bloody hole") is located under the plastic tab at the 9 o'clock position.

The best way to access it is to remove the reservoir. Simply pry it straight up with a screwdriver.

While the reservoir is off, remove the o-ring that seals it, clean the groove in which it lives.

When all is clean, lube the o-ring with fresh brake fluid, snap the reservoir back into place.

By the way, I get my rebuild kits from Parts-n-More. I also just got a new reservoir kit, which includes reservoir, o-ring, diaphragm, cap and bolts.

Last edited by Steve; 01-20-2011, 01:33 AM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X