'83-'85 GS750E/ES, 700E/ES squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaky Swingarm

Jeez and I thought I was the only owner of a squeaky GS700/750E/ES.... Mine has been doing it on and off ever since I got her, I've sprayed it with various lubes ie.. WD-40 / Tri-Flo / etc... and it all seems to work when it wants to. I to would like to pull mine apaert this winter and clean-repare-replace or whatever it takes to get rid of the (hey I'm a old bike look at me ) squeak. LOL How much work is it really, If I have to completly remove the swingarm I know what going to happen... More polishing.

Comment

I am pretty certain it is the spring, I had my swingarm off, and relubed along with all new hardware when I restored mine and it still squeaks. I did not replace my rear shock and it has gotten worse with every ride.

Comment

Originally posted by JimW View Post
        I tried soaking anything that could potentially squeak with WD a few months ago...
        Moron. That's why it's squeaking. WD-40 is a water deterrent, hence WD. It is not a grease.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2010, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
          Moron. That's why it's squeaking. WD-40 is a water dererent, hence WD. It is not a grease.
          That's a little strong to be talking to a new member like that don't you think?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

polyurethane bushings would be awesome, anyone know if they make them for our bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
              Moron. That's why it's squeaking. WD-40 is a water dererent, hence WD. It is not a grease.
              'dererent'? Really? Ahahahaha!
              1) Moron. Making an enemy of someone for no reason is pretty stupid.
              2) No, fool, that's not why it's squeaking. It was already squeaking. The WD was an attempt to stop it from squeaking.
              3) 'dererent'. 'Nuff said.
              4) WD-40 isn't a grease, but it is a lubricant. As is grease. Look it up.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM. Reason: Partial concession to a peacemaker...

Comment

Time for a group hug...

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Time for a group hug...
                  While were at it lets have a look at this.

Some guy: WD 40 cures arthritus!
                  Another guy: NO WAY MANNN, weed does.

Anyways, who cares its true WD40 shouldnt be used as a long term lubricant because it is not, espeically on machinery and CAN cause damage versus a different type like I prefer; triflow. Where do you live in SD?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                    Where do you live in SD?
                    Rancho Bernardo area. You?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                      While were at it lets have a look at this.

Some guy: WD 40 cures arthritus!
                      Another guy: NO WAY MANNN, weed does.

Anyways, who cares its true WD40 shouldnt be used as a long term lubricant because it is not, espeically on machinery and CAN cause damage versus a different type like I prefer; triflow. Where do you live in SD?
                      Neither WD-40 or Triflow is the correct lubricant for rear suspension bearings, grease is what's needed.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by JimW View Post
                        Rancho Bernardo area. You?
                        Either Temecula or Rancho San Diego/ El Cajon
                        Right now I'm in Temecula.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Neither WD-40 or Triflow is the correct lubricant for rear suspension bearings, grease is what's needed.
                          I was talking more along the lines for sustaining no squeak, especially in the bushings, not to be used in place of grease for bearings. Howeverrrrrrr, triflow does make red grease for such applications under their motorcycle category.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            That's a little strong to be talking to a new member like that don't you think?
                            crikey ir drunk and heck that is copping a serious attitude.

if its in the spring how to fix it/

does not the spring have a shim?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              amen tear down inspect and lube
                              spritzers are for confused people adulterating wine!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                                crikey ir drunk and heck that is copping a serious attitude.

if its in the spring how to fix it/

does not the spring have a shim?
                                Glad to see I'm not alone with drinking and posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X