Clear All

Any updates?
    Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
    1979 GS850GN
    sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
    1975-2008

Comment

Glycerine or it cheaper related cousin glycerol commonly available is the old time rubber conditioner and also works as an antifreeze preventing freeze damage.Not tried it on gs boots but worked good at revitalizing door and windscreen rubbers on my old 2002 and other subsequent vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
        Glycerine or it cheaper related cousin glycerol commonly available is the old time rubber conditioner and also works as an antifreeze preventing freeze damage.Not tried it on gs boots but worked good at revitalizing door and windscreen rubbers on my old 2002 and other subsequent vehicles.
        Glycerine, glycerine and glycerol are different names for the same chemical compound. Chemistry students are taught how to name chemicals based on structural characteristics, as this focuses them on the properties that derive from the structural characteristics. The systematic name is 1,2,3trihydroxypropane.

Glycerine is an alcohol, which means that an -OH group is attached to a carbon atom. An -OH group is called an alcohol group. Another name for the -OH group is a hydroxy group, because the group has a hydrogen atom attached to an oxygem atom. Oxygen has two chemical bonds, so after a hydrogen atom attaches to it, it has one bond left over to attach to something else.

Methanol = wood alcohol is the simplest alcohol. It has a single carbon with 3 H atoms and an -OH group attached.

Ethanol = grain alcohol is the next simplest alcohol. It has two carbon atomes attached to each other. One carbon has three H atoms attached. The other carbon has two H atoms and an -OH group.

Propane is a string of three carbon atoms. Carbon atoms use four bonds.
        Propane has three carbon atoms. The one in the middle has two H atoms attached. The carbons on the ends have 3 H atoms attached.

1,propanol has a single -OH group replacing one H atom on one of the end carbons.

2,propanol has a single -OH group replacing one of the H atoms on the central carbon.

1,2,3trihydroxypropane has three -OH groups. Two -OH groups are attached to the end carbon atoms, and the last -OH group is attached to the center carbon atom.

Fats have glycerine at the center. The hyrogens from the -OH groups are replaced with long chain carboxylic acids. Vinegar has about 5% acetic acid from natural fermentation. Acetic acid is a short chain carboxylic acid, having only two carbon atoms in it. Its systematic name is ethanoic acid.

Glycerine has a slightly sweet taste. It has low toxicity.

1,2,dihydroxyethane is the systematic name for ethylene glycol. Ethylene glcol is the main ingredient in automotive antifreeze. Glycerine could also be mixed with water for use as antifreeze.

End of chemistry lesson for today.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Glycerine, glycerine and glycerol are different names for the same chemical compound. Chemistry students are taught how to name chemicals based on structural characteristics, as this focuses them on the properties that derive from the structural characteristics. The systematic name is 1,2,3trihydroxypropane.

Glycerine is an alcohol, which means that an -OH group is attached to a carbon atom. An -OH group is called an alcohol group. Another name for the -OH group is a hydroxy group, because the group has a hydrogen atom attached to an oxygem atom. Oxygen has two chemical bonds, so after a hydrogen atom attaches to it, it has one bond left over to attach to something else.

Methanol = wood alcohol is the simplest alcohol. It has a single carbon with 3 H atoms and an -OH group attached.

Ethanol = grain alcohol is the next simplest alcohol. It has two carbon atomes attached to each other. One carbon has three H atoms attached. The other carbon has two H atoms and an -OH group.

Propane is a string of three carbon atoms. Carbon atoms use four bonds.
          Propane has three carbon atoms. The one in the middle has two H atoms attached. The carbons on the ends have 3 H atoms attached.

1,propanol has a single -OH group replacing one H atom on one of the end carbons.

2,propanol has a single -OH group replacing one of the H atoms on the central carbon.

1,2,3trihydroxypropane has three -OH groups. Two -OH groups are attached to the end carbon atoms, and the last -OH group is attached to the center carbon atom.

Fats have glycerine at the center. The hyrogens from the -OH groups are replaced with long chain carboxylic acids. Vinegar has about 5% acetic acid from natural fermentation. Acetic acid is a short chain carboxylic acid, having only two carbon atoms in it. Its systematic name is ethanoic acid.

Glycerine has a slightly sweet taste. It has low toxicity.

1,2,dihydroxyethane is the systematic name for ethylene glycol. Ethylene glcol is the main ingredient in automotive antifreeze. Glycerine could also be mixed with water for use as antifreeze.

End of chemistry lesson for today.
          Too much information for my pea brain.

Will dunking carb boots in antifreeze soften them?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

cant answer that Ed...but I know the Glycerine is next to the band aids at Walmart..6 OZ bottle for just a few bucks.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Over 2 months

Mine are still soft after more than 2 months. They still smell minty too. Just used the wintergreen and good ol' hot water. Had the carbs off again last weekend, and they went back on without any hassles.
              Last edited by jsandidge; 12-22-2013, 12:11 PM.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

How long did you let them sit in the hot water? Would like to use that as a baseline for my Glycerin experiment currently underway.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

20 mins

I only let them sit for about 20 mins, keeping the water just under boiling. Had planned on longer, but they were swelling and I freaked out. They did come back down to the correct size after a couple hours. I lightly clamped them onto a spare set of carbs to help aid the reforming.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                  1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

According to the chemist here the product labelled as glycerine is about 4 times more expensive as the glycerol next to it on the shelf,maybe a purity thing causing price differential or maybe synthesis costs,but thank you for the lesson been many decades since last studied chemistry and in this case price outweighed the need to research the difference as i wasnt going to injest it only soften rubber which it did most effectively

Comment

Ive sat boots in the undiluted green anti freeze for days on end without change..this was like 3 hrs of soaking with the Glycerin on the stove at low heat.See my Glycerin experiment thread for pics of what I did. .....so thats my experience with it.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I haven't noticed any swelling, where the liberally "wintergreened" boots were heated sealed in a closed jar (of course a plastic sealed baggy would work too, per chuck's glycerine test http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=216817 )
                        They are definitely softer and still soft today. I have plenty of my tiny bottle of wintergreen remaining....

In what I would call the "open pot method" where the wintergreen is added to water and the rubber just simmered in it, the wintergreen vapourises at a low temperature and much of it is lost to the air. The "sealed method" would seem to be thriftier, and far less smelly. I believe the swelling is far less too but I have only used the sealed-method and so I don't have that comparison.

Even without taking the boots off (or other rubber) I think it's worth warming stiff rubber and applying wintergreen. There is some softening this way. It stinks though and is not really good for you. Stand clear. I'd like to know if glycerine can be applied successfully "on the fly" because it seems cheaper and less smelly??? as I mentioned, Wintergreen can be seen to vapourise at quite a low temperature.

A mixture of the two might be especially effective! but maybe the a chemists out there can speak to this, before somebody accidentally reinvents an explosive....

Weirdly, I'm still looking for plain glycerine locally. It used to be in every pharmacy, but I guess nobody uses it anymore...was it a laxative like mineral oil or what?

Comment

Skin conditioner..Walmat has it in the band aid section...dont ask me why its there, but thats where i found it here.

Comment

Ive always just ran to the dollar store and picked up the cheap equivalent of Pine-sol. Boil boots for half hour or so. Softens them up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Ive sat boots in the undiluted green anti freeze for days on end without change..this was like 3 hrs of soaking with the Glycerin on the stove at low heat.See my Glycerin experiment thread for pics of what I did. .....so thats my experience with it.
                              I had a set of s[are boots in antifreeze for a year or so. Kust left em in and they did not soften a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                                Hmmmmmm........can't seem to find this stuff hereWould really like to give it a try but...............

Here's an option:

You can buy almost any essential oil on ebay.
                                Last edited by argonsagas; 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM.
                                "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                                Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X