Opening the perverbial can of worms! Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    From a technical standpoint I don't understand how synthetic can reduce temperatures beyond maybe a nominal level.
    Ed, I know you require data. sorry, but I can't supply that information. I wish I had a method of accurately measuring those temp differences.

my thinking, as un-scientific as it is, is based on the two factors. 1) non hydro cracked, hydro cracked and chemically created base stocks 'should' have differing friction qualities. for example, it easier to roll a ball bearing than a brick. 2) my mileage increased from 43 'ish to 46-47 consistently between dyno oil and Amsoil.

also, is there a difference in the heat transferring abilities between dyno and a true synthetic base stock? as you, inquiring minds would like to know.

further testing is needed.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
      I will second what BassCliff says, I use 15W40, usually rotella, sometimes delvac, or even Supertech. Around $10 a gallon, works fine with clutch. Mine has an appetite for oil so cheap and readily available is highest priority.
      I'm working my way through some of the various oils to see what, if any, differences can be seen. Started with Delvac (because it was on sale) and seemed to work fine. Averaged 46.76 mpg.

I just changed the oil and filter using Supertech Universal diesel oil. Haven't had much time with it yet, but the reason for the post is to remind anyone planning on using Supertech to not just grab a gallon jug and go. Check the quart prices and compare. The gallon price was $10.16. Quart price was $2.23.
      1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I was going to put oil in, but it wasn't empty
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Valvoline Synthetic (full) 15W40 diesel. 'bout the same price as rotella, and I don't have to add as often, don't know why, can't find a leak

Comment

i concur on the diesel oil. i only use diesel oil, period!!! 15W40 mobile 1. or rotella if i have to. diesel oil is far superior to gasoline oil due to the much higher zinc content and detergents witch keep engine much cleaner and never had an engine or clutch issue in over twenty years of using it, i got started by my dad. and as an added bonus is half the price of so called "motorcycle oil".

Comment

Working...
            X