Spark Plug Threading all messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Threading all messed up

I just got a new GS project bike, I too the spark Plugs out and when I was going to put them back in, they wouldn't go back in and the threading inteh engine is visible deformed. Ive never dealt with this before, where do i go from here? I saw some repair kits online, any suggestions as to which kind to get?
    Thanks!

Previous owner did not wwant the plugs coming out by accident eh?

If the threads are there and just bunged up a bit you could likely chase them with the correct tap.

Comment

Just ask Graham!!

Comment

Doh!

I messed up the threads in one cylinder myself once, by rushing the plug back in with a socket and extension. I should have started the plug with bare fingers, as I already knew!
        I found a spark plug chaser at the NAPA auto parts store, and used that to re-tap the threads. It's a thread tap just for plug holes.
        To use it: Line it up as best you can figure, screw it in until it starts to bind, back it out a revolution, than go forward again until it binds. Repeat the process again. Do this until it reaches the bottom, you're finished.
        Not the end of the world, yet.
        Bill
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

+1 on the spark plug thread chaser tool. It's fairly inexpensive and will do the job properly.

Comment

It is best to always start tightening your spark plugs with a high speed impact wrench

NOT

Finger tighten only and you take your chances if you use a wrench before the plug starts to bottoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
              +1 on the spark plug thread chaser tool. It's fairly inexpensive and will do the job properly.
              Yeah, and put a little grease on it to catch those chips!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

I had to repair a spark plug hole thread on my bike. CLICK HERE to read my thread. The thread chaser I got at the local auto parts store worked fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

I had to repair a spark plug hole thread on my bike. CLICK HERE to read my thread. The thread chaser I got at the local auto parts store worked fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Oh my a thread thread! Such serendipity.

Comment

Don't think that just because you chased the threads with a tap that everything will be okay. If there has been too much meat removed for the threads to bite into, you will end up with a spark plug that either strips the threads out when you tighten it down or even worse, goes flying out when the engine is running.. If you have any questions, get a threaded insert to repair it properly. Something from an auto parts store that looks like this:

which of course is not cut in half such as this one is. They are really easy to install and will work a ton better than a heli-coil. Heli-coil does make an insert such as this though. Do it once and never worry about it again. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly and use locktite.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                      Don't think that just because you chased the threads with a tap that everything will be okay. If there has been too much meat removed for the threads to bite into, you will end up with a spark plug that either strips the threads out when you tighten it down or even worse, goes flying out when the engine is running.. If you have any questions, get a threaded insert to repair it properly. Something from an auto parts store that looks like this:

which of course is not cut in half such as this one is. They are really easy to install and will work a ton better than a heli-coil. Heli-coil does make an insert such as this though. Do it once and never worry about it again. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly and use locktite.
                      Requires removal of head from engine & drilling out to correct size to tap and install?

I have a cross threaded plug on my # 4, wanna fix it but a tap is too short and awkward to fit without pulling the head which I'm way to lazy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                        Requires removal of head from engine & drilling out to correct size to tap and install?

I have a cross threaded plug on my # 4, wanna fix it but a tap is too short and awkward to fit without pulling the head which I'm way to lazy to do.

I saw some very long repair taps in a web search.

made for deep well cylinder heads on DOHC car engines.
                        Pricy but way cheaper than a head gasket plus the time to do a partial tear down.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          I saw some very long repair taps in a web search.

made for deep well cylinder heads on DOHC car engines.
                          Pricy but way cheaper than a head gasket plus the time to do a partial tear down.
                          JEEPRUSTY, what do you think of these?
                          Your power tool and industrial equipment superstore, carrying top brands including Dewalt, Milwaukee, Greenlee, Ridgid, and many more

Seems like you can start it by hand then use the socket to finish it.

Comment

mine didn't. Just use some heavy grease on the tap to catch the filings. You MIGHT need to loosen up the engine to get a straight shot on it though. otherwise you're all set. Mine had a tap that threaded into the original threads and pulled down a cutter and then tapped the correct larger threads for the insert all at once. just make sure it's in straight and you're all set.

Comment

JEEPRUSTY, what do you think of these?
                              Your power tool and industrial equipment superstore, carrying top brands including Dewalt, Milwaukee, Greenlee, Ridgid, and many more

Seems like you can start it by hand then use the socket to finish it.

yes and heck if you wanted to have more depth you could maybe epoxy the hex head into a deep socket.

I know my redneck methods make people cringe but I would do that to a 30 dollar tool to get the reaach before shelling out more for the long ones.

KD tools makes long one I think

Comment

Working...
                              X