Please help. model ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help. model ID

hey guys i have a 1978 GS1000 i am rebuilding and i need some help identifying which model it is, such as GS1000C GS1000E GS1000EC, and so on..... i have a owners manual and its does not say how to determine this. i checked the vin's on the frame and enigine and there are not any letters in them at all. so please help ASAP... thank you very much guys

C = 1978 - this is NOT a model code, it's a year code
    N = 1979
    T = 1980

The GS1000 came in two models: standard wire wheel (GS1000) and sport model with two front discs and mag wheels (GS1000E)

A 1978 sport model is commonly denoted as GS1000EC

A 1978 standard model therefor is a GS1000C

Check this link for details of other models... http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

In addition to the information that Ed posted for you, the E models for 78 & 79 also had self canceling turn signals where the standard models did not. So if you have wire wheels, one front wheel brake on the left side and non self canceling turn signals you have a 78 GS1000C. If you have mag wheels, dual disc front brakes and self canceling turn signals you have a 78 GS1000EC. Most of the parts are interchangeable between the 78 and 79 years.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

wow thank you guys for your help!!! i will check er out when i get home. but i think it has non self canceling signals two disc brakes and wire wheels lol... the owner before me might have swap those things out tho. lol... but thank you guys alot . that helps me out!!!!!

Comment

once again i was wrong. it has wire wheels, single disc front, and noncanceling sigs. so i guess its a a gs1000c.... so moving on. one more question on involving the front brake..... this is pretty crazy n all but i want to relocate the front brake reservoir from the bars. just a little lower on the frame or something. anybody have any ideas,pics, or input? its prolly not recomended to do this, but that big ole reservoir is ugly lol. just trying to move it off the bars to around the neck area or something idk.. please help . thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by j12racer View Post
            i want to relocate the front brake reservoir from the bars. just a little lower on the frame or something. anybody have any ideas,pics, or input? its prolly not recomended to do this,
            You're right! From a functional point of view, it is a Very Bad Idea to do this. Even if you do figure out a place to relocate the master cyl, you will also need to cook up a Rube Goldbergian series of cables, push-pull rods, etc. to connect the handlebar brake lever to the master cyl so you can activate the brakes. Even if you come up with a moderately acceptable design, that's just inviting more gremlins that can jam or go wrong, right when you need max braking power. Don't dick around with your brakes. You've already got the most trouble free arrangement possible - a hand lever pushing directly on the master cylinder piston, sending hydraulic pressure directly to your front brake calipers.

Put on some stainless steel lines if you want to spiff up your brakes - that will make it look nicer _and_ improve braking action.

If yours has the 70's style round brake fluid reservoir with a screw-down jar-lid top, you may find it more attractive to convert to an 80's style master cylinder from a later model GS, that has a flat, rectangular reservoir with a cover held on by 4 small screws. But, that's about as far as any sensible person would go IMO.

Some late-70s / early 80's Moto Guzzi smallblocks (500cc) had a remote reservoir for one of the dual front brakes, and had a linked system operated by the right foot, which activated the rear disc and the other front disc from a master cylinder (and remote resevoir) located behind the right side cover. But, putting aside the linked system for a moment, the remote front-brake reservoir design never worked very well and they soon went back to mounting the reservoir on the handlebar next to the brake lever, like every body else.

but that big ole reservoir is ugly lol. just trying to move it off the bars to around the neck area or something idk.. please help . thanks guys
            Deon't sacrifice safety for appearance. Criminy, even Harleys have handlebar-mounted front brake reservoirs and master cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ View Post
              ... Criminy, even Harleys have handlebar-mounted front brake reservoirs and master cylinders.
              Too bad they don't work very well.

Yeah, I have ridden a few different models in different years. Every single one of them felt like someone had turned off the power brakes, leaving a VERY hard pull on the lever. Not just a heavy pull, but a long stopping distance, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

very true.. thanks for the heads up and info... that was going to be my next question lol. would it be okay to convert to a different more aethetic one. . any other models that might be compatible? im going to a junk yard next week so im just wondering if it would hurt if i got one that is a little smaller. i do like the look of the newer gixxer reservoirs. sorry for grammer and spelling. using iphone. thanks for your help guys

Comment

Working...
                X