Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck caliper piston - with picture!

Hey gang,

I am having a having a hackuva time removing this piston from the caliper (81 GS400).

Any suggestions?

THanks.

Compressed air? That's what I've used.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Hi,

Yes, compressed air works the best. Carefully put the caliper in a vice, so that you don't damage it. Use a rubber tipped air nozzle in the brake line hole making sure the bleeder hole is closed tightly. Put a rag or something around the caliper so that the piston doesn't go shooting across the garage.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Compressed air does work but I had a heckuva time doing it. I just used a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers and some blocks for pivot points and was able to move it up that way.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I wrap a rag around the body and clamp it in a vice.Then i take my channel locks and grip the lip and twist and pull at the same time..that has always gotten them out for me. Sometimes they are just so tight that compressed air wont budge them...been there and done that. Also once you get it out use a dremel and the small wire wheel to clean the groove the seal fits into. Once you remove it you will have chunks that will prevent it from seating properly again so the groove must be cleaned well.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

If you have the right fittings, your grease gun will work too. It's a bit of a messy cleanup though.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

Yes, compressed air works the best. Carefully put the caliper in a vice, so that you don't damage it. Use a rubber tipped air nozzle in the brake line hole making sure the bleeder hole is closed tightly. Put a rag or something around the caliper so that the piston doesn't go shooting across the garage.

BassCliff
              GAGAGAAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA-----
              POP!

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

I sure hope thats just crappy brown brake fluid on there and not rusty pits!!
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

nope, rusty pits. dang.

Comment

Hi,

I'm sure you'll want to get a new piston. But as long as the groove for the seal in the caliper is good, it can probably be cleaned up and reused.

BassCliff

Comment

It will get cleaned up and re-used but not in my brakes. It will become a piece of cargo for my son's train set.

I'm now wondering about honing the cylinder.

Comment

There is no real point in honing the cylinder. The sealing point is between the rubber seal and the piston (also the rubber seal and the back of the groove). Just use a wire wheel in the groove to make sure its cleaned out and you're good to go.

Comment

Air pressure will not always work, and can be dangerous. Hydraulic pressure is much stronger, with no explosive discharge. Just hook it back up to the master cylinder, bleed it out, and push it out. To save time and fluid, push it out before you separate it from the line. With dual calipers, one will come out first, so you run it out just before separation, stop it's motion with a c-clamp, and then run out the other to separation.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X