Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believing...

Believing everything you read on the Internet.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I am new here but I would like to add a line or two that I have seen in all fields of the mechanical industry..

Not recognizing or ignoring a concern because your last bike/ car/ boat etc.. in your opinion "did that, or didn't do that"

Neglecting a needed repair to save a few bucks - those few bucks might save your form injury or worse

Operate it with malfunctioning symptoms or warning lights on because you don't want to call for help, don't feel like walking, or don't want to waste your money, by the time it stops it usually will cost you more than it would of if remedied promptly

Comment

gas

The gas thing I might disagree on. Gas has chnged over the years if I runreg gas in my bandit the idile is all over the place when I fill up with pre it stsys at 1000 and purrs like a cat reg these days has to much corn garbage init inmy opinion

Comment

Originally posted by suzukirider View Post
          The gas thing I might disagree on. Gas has chnged over the years if I runreg gas in my bandit the idile is all over the place when I fill up with pre it stsys at 1000 and purrs like a cat reg these days has to much corn garbage init inmy opinion
          Corn garbage varies widely. Premium, regular, can both have a lot or not much. It builds up in the underground tanks, it picks up water with time, nasty stuff for old engines especially.

You can test it yourself for alcohol content very easily. Google it. It has to do with seeing how much additional water the fuel can absorb before it settles out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Corn garbage varies widely. Premium, regular, can both have a lot or not much. It builds up in the underground tanks, it picks up water with time, nasty stuff for old engines especially.

You can test it yourself for alcohol content very easily. Google it. It has to do with seeing how much additional water the fuel can absorb before it settles out.
            I think I've mentioned this before, but riding across the country I noticed a significant difference in how my bike ran pumping nothing but 87 into it - state to state, and sometimes county to county. Best case I have for this is the stretch between Chicago and the Badlands. All similar elevation/temp/etc. Only real difference was the source of the gasoline I was getting.

Comment

Hi,

im a newbie of course...

how do I rebuid the front master brakes pls? or where do u have to search in the forum?

tks

Comment

sorry an onther question,

how do I know if the valve adjustment is good?

Comment

Posting questions without first reading the NEWby material (I have made this mistake)

Posting questions without first adding bike in question to signature (I have made this mistake)

Replacing RR with a new shunt RR (I have made this mistake)

Frusterating and causing consternation to the hierarchy and causing their wrath and indignation to falleth upon my head (I have made this mistake)
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
                    sorry an onther question,

how do I know if the valve adjustment is good?
                    To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                      To measure is to know.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

tks for your help,

I find the necessary stuff in BassCiff website (I hope)..

thanks again.

and specially to Jeff to take the time to explain to newbies how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I should pay you royalties given how many times I quote this in real life.

Comment

I thought of one working on the top of the engine with valve cover off and dropping a bolt Down the chain galley because you don't have a rag stuffed down there.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              ...working on the top of the engine with valve cover off and dropping a bolt down the chain galley because you don't have a rag stuffed down there.
                              I hate when that happens!
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have NEVER stuffed a rag into a cam chain galley. Don't know if it's because I am a mechanic or just careful but I HAVE dropped a bolt or 9 in the cam chain galley & had to fish them out with different methods. My favorite is a magnet I have with a shield over it to keep it from grabbing magnetic stuff on the way down. After that I like stainless safety wire to hook nuts with. Experience & "Oh SH!T!" moments are the best teachers. I can honestly say I haven't had to fish a bolt or anything else out of a cam chain galley in over 10 years.
                                Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X