GS Valve Spring Compressor suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Valve Spring Compressor suggestions?

Within the next month I will need a Valve Spring Compressor to reassemble a worked GS1100G D Head. I will be doing this job myself so I am looking for a suggestion from someone on which tool works pretty well.

I saw this on EBay . . . ?

TIA
    Steve
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

That might work, but for about half the price, you can make one like I did.

BassCliff has a video of my tool and how to use it on his site.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't look but it it PVC pipe related?
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Yep. ..................
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve, that tool looks really good for the money, if the sizes fit our valves and heads.
          Let me know how it works.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It fits the 8-valve heads just fine.

I tried one for a 16-valve head, but the plastic was not strong enough. I ended up using a section of electrical conduit for that one.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I used Steve's on my 450 head and my third attempt worked like a charm.

On my first two attempts I cut the rectangle too big which took too much strength away from the bottom, allowing it to basically fold under the pressure.

Once you've done four valves, you can get a real technique going that makes it real easy... unfortunately the 450 only has four valves so I couldn't take advantage of this

I really do recommend Steve's method, so very simple and you more than likely already have a suitable C clamp.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I also used PVC, but you have to get the thicker PVC cut a notch in it and I used a little extender magnet you get at any hardware or harbor freight and plucked the little clips out. Sorry I dont have any picks but I am sure basscliffs is along the same line.
                The only thing that was a real pain in the rear was putting the clips back in never found a good way...just dropped them in and fiddle with them till I got them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  I used Steve's on my 450 head and my third attempt worked like a charm. ...
                  Trust me, that wasn't my first attempt, either.

It took several attempts at designing the PVC tool, and the video was the third or fourth attempt, too. Even then, I still had to "fiddle" with the keepers to get them into place. Kept that in just to show it doesn't always go as planned.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

for what it's worth I got one from ebay, and it worked really well (16 valve motor) has plently of adapters for different valve sizes.

Nic
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Since you asked...Buy the valve spring compressor. If you only had one valve to remove, then yes, make some home made c-clamp and pipe device. If you are doing a whole head or many heads you won't regret buying the purpose designed tool. They are reasonably priced and VERY easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Trust me, that wasn't my first attempt, either.

It took several attempts at designing the PVC tool, and the video was the third or fourth attempt, too. Even then, I still had to "fiddle" with the keepers to get them into place. Kept that in just to show it doesn't always go as planned.

And here I was thinking my lack of coordination was to blame

But yeah, the valve keepers were definitely the most difficult bit, however once again I got a good technique going on the fourth valve...
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                          Since you asked...Buy the valve spring compressor. If you only had one valve to remove, then yes, make some home made c-clamp and pipe device. If you are doing a whole head or many heads you won't regret buying the purpose designed tool. They are reasonably priced and VERY easy to use.
                          AGREED.

I am not in the business of rebuilding engines. Out of the several bikes that have gone through my garage during the last six years, I have only changed valve seals on two, one 8- and one 16-valve. For that kind of useage, my tool works well, but if you see doing this more often, get the 'proper' tool.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                            for what it's worth I got one from ebay, and it worked really well (16 valve motor) has plently of adapters for different valve sizes.

Nic
                            Nic,

Are the adapters steel or plastic? If they are plastic I will probably stick with the notched PVC.

Tom,
                            I will let you know how it works out. I don't have an extra set of hands for this project.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                              Nic,

Are the adapters steel or plastic? If they are plastic I will probably stick with the notched PVC.

Tom,
                              I will let you know how it works out. I don't have an extra set of hands for this project.

Steve
                              You will if you ask, I can zip down there easy enough if you need a hand.
                              If I'm in town.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X