Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed handlebars, now I have cable problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed handlebars, now I have cable problems...

Hi guys,

I changed out the bars on my GS650L yesterday, from the stock L bars to BikeMaster "Euro" bars...much lower than the stock, in other words.

Unfortunately, I think I may need some new cables. The throttle cable loops way out from the bars and unless I position it carefully with my hand, the bike revs up quite high. Any attempt to pull it back and possibly secure it to the handlebars results in it reving up VERY high. Additionally, the clutch and choke cables are also quite tight.

Can anyone who's done a similar change over give me some guidance here (the Euro bars are similar in style to Daytona bars)? Are there any adjustments I can do to improve things, or am I looking at new cables? If I'm looking at new cables, what do I need? I understand the stock "G" bars are quite a bit further forward than the "L" style ones, could I get away with ordering a set of OEM cables for a G model 650?

Thanks in advance guys.

I guess see if you can find the length of the cable from a G model and compare to yours. I'll be in the same boat when I finish mine I guess.

Comment

You can try rerouting the cables, throttle around to the left side of the steering head, threaded through the frame to the carbs, and clutch around the right side. This worked for me with clip-ons on a 550, with the stock cables.

Comment

I re-routed mine for superbike bars, but from what I hear the Katana cables are pretty close to the right length.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
          You can try rerouting the cables, throttle around to the left side of the steering head, threaded through the frame to the carbs, and clutch around the right side. This worked for me with clip-ons on a 550, with the stock cables.
          That's a great idea, I'll give that a try, thanks.

Comment

I also re-rerouted my cables. Although you may need to remove the tank and loosen the cables from where they are tied on the frame. Re-route so you have smooth operational, and then re-tie them.
            If you want shorter cables, try ordering look at the lengths of a 650 katana. I believe these are shorter, even than the G cables.
            Also you can try using some cable lube on the tight clutch and choke.

Comment

This is a common topic with lots of info in the archives...

Yes, as TT states, 1983 650 Katana cables are shorter since that model had low bars. Any OE part source should be able to get them for you.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                This is a common topic with lots of info in the archives...

Yes, as TT states, 1983 650 Katana cables are shorter since that model had low bars. Any OE part source should be able to get them for you.
                Ya, after I posted this I had the brainstorm to search for "throttle cable" instead of "handlebars".....the latter didn't get me far, but there was good info in the former.

The 83 Katana has the same connector on the ends, I assume? I'll probably go this route if I can't get the previous option working, thanks.

Comment

Thought I'd follow up on this, in case anyone else ever stumbles across this thread.

I was able to get my throttle situation sorted out by routing the cable around the other side of the steering head, as suggested in this thread. I simply disconnected the cable from the throttle assembly, fished it back through the steering head to the gas tank, then around the other side. With the cable in its stock position, the curve was too extreme. From the left side, the curve is gradual, approximately the same angle as stock, and works perfectly.

Additionally, I re-routed the clutch and choke cables. They aren't long enough to be run around the other side of the steering head, but I was able to remove them from the ring attaching them to the frame and route the out a little further beside the head lamp.

Everything works great now, thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. pudds,

I'm happy you got your cables sorted out. I hope I'm not too late to share some GS goodness and give you your "mega-welcome".

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm about to do the exact same thing with the exact same bars.
                      What did you do to make it work? Re-rout? New cables? Different bars?
                      Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                      X