What can I expect from a 28 year old 750 with less than 1,000 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was riden less than 1,000 miles from new in the early 80s, then has been garaged for all this time (dry storage), all original, even the tires. So what should I expect to find wrong other than the carbs, the tank is clean, a good sign.

Rebuild the carbs, replace the tires, put good gas in it , clean up and ride it!!

POST A PIC!!
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

You better look at the brakes, sometimes they get a blockage in the return port which causes the wheel to lock up, sometimes even if you don't touch the brake lever. A bike that sat idle this long, the brake fluid has probably long since turned to brown sugar.

It's easy to prevent.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I also have a 1983 gs750e which I am the original owner of. Mine has 6000 miles on it. It also has been garage kept. The last time it was run was 12 years ago. And still had a half tank of gas in it. Believe it or not, it fired right up on the 12 year old gas. Albeit not on all four cylinders. I know I face a carb job down the road, but 3 cans of seafoam later 1 per tank. And most of a spray can of carb cleaner down the fuel line to fill up the float bowls, I am happily mobile. Issues I faced, the tires gotta go. Mine looked good til I took a really close look and discovered cracks in the tread grooves. And it rode like a rock, which I didn't notice til I put the new rubber on. Carefully remove the air cleaner, and replace, mine was powder in the bottom of the air box so I had to vacuum and wipe out the air box. New battery of course. New brake fluid as well you will find it comes out very dark and thick compared to new. New plugs, even though it was garage kept there was some rust on the threads. Inspect the rubber hoses and boots, I was lucky there, as everything was still very pliable. Thats all I can think of,and I am happily puttering around. Good luck.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

I'd go through carbs right away; even if it fires up the carb O-rings are hard and brittle. Intake boot O-rings too. Tank should be cleaned out properly, there could be gruge on the bottom you can't see. Brake system should be fully torn down and cleaned out. Replace the rubber brake lines. Tires are a given. And you would do well to clean all the electrical connections.

How does the bike look? Can't wait to see some photos (you are going to post some aren't you)?
          Last edited by Nessism; 05-30-2011, 05:12 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It would be a good idea to give the chain a light coat of lube and check for broken or missing o-rings. I'd imagine that the chain and sprockets have a lot of life left in them. Good advice here, and yes tires are A number one priority. Sounds like a great find, can't wait for pics!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie, it probably came with an O ring chain. If it's an O ring chain, the O rings will start to drop out of the chain once you start to ride. The links with the missing rings will wear quickly. Nothing hazardous like the brakes, just watch it for wear. If it's a non O ring chain it' probably still good as new.
              I would definitely go through the tests in the stator papers too, before something expensive fails.
              Last edited by tkent02; 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Allie, it probably came with an O ring chain. If it's an O ring chain, the O rings will start to drop out of the chain once you start to ride. The links with the missing rings will wear quickly. Nothing hazardous like the brakes, just watch it for wear. If it's a non O ring chain it' probably still good as new.
                I would definitely go through the tests in the stator papers too, before something expensive fails.
                Yeah I believe they make a big deal out of the o-ring chain in the maintenance for my bike, so I assume all GSs had them. So there's no hope for the o-rings at that age? I know they seal in lubricant, I guess that doesn't keep them fresh for 30 years, huh? Well me being 'frugal' I'd probably take your advice and use the chain up and watch it for wear. There's certainly not much wear on it as she sits. Gotta say the modern o-ring chains are marvelous, very little wear and barely need lubing. I imagine that to get the most out of a chain with bad o-rings you'd want to keep it pretty well lathered?
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Looked at the bike today, they said it was garaged kept and the first thing I thought when I saw the bike was the garage must not have had a roof, the bike was completely roached from 29 years of weather, the odometer read under 900 miles. But for what it needed, total everything the price was way out of line.

Comment

Perhaps I missed you mentioning it but what did the seller want for the bike?
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yes there is a difference between storage in a heated garage and out in the shed in the back yard

Comment

I'd squirt a little 2 cycle oil in the spark plug holes and turn it over a couple of times by hand first then by starter. Get some oil up top.

Comment

I went to look at a 1980's Kawa with 500 miles last summer.

Bike still has all the original warning stickers and stuff all over the bike.
                          Problem was, the tank was JUST lined, and the shifter linkage was leaking Watery Oil.

And the seller was just acting Strange.....he couldn't give me ANY background on the bike....It was almost like he wasn't expecting me to Ask about HOW he came upon the bike, and he studdered and made up this "oh my uncle...etc" story.

I asked him later again, and he just completely avoided the question!!!

I said, "thanks for letting me look at it, but cya later!"

He was full of ****....and I could tell.

Comment

Another 99000 miles.......at least.

Comment

Maybe expect that it doesn't have the original speedo/odometer on it.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X