alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator?

how often do the alternators go on the GS. i read somewhere that they are prone to failing. Is that something that hapens regularaly?

Last time I checked they have stators, not alternators.

Comment

yup, my bad. you're right. but how often do those go out?

Comment

It depends on a lot of things. I think our unofficial greeter, BassCliff, is off on a rally this weekend, but here's his page on all things GS with a lot of info on the stator and the r/r and how to keep the charging system healthy among other things relating to our bikes: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

I guess I missed your intro, what bike do you have, and where might you be located? I also was a Corvair nut for many years, had a '64 Monza coupe (2nd car), a '63 Greenbrier, a '62 Greenbrier with a camper package my Dad and I installed, and I picked up a free '66 Monza that I never had a chance to fix and let it go to someone else when I went in the Navy.

Welcome to the GSR addiction and nuthouse. We're not all crazy here, but it helps!
        Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

If you do some research in the archives here and figure out how to clean up a couple of wiring related issues, the charging system is reasonably reliable.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            If you do some research in the archives here and figure out how to clean up a couple of wiring related issues, the charging system is reasonably reliable.
            In comparison to other motorcycle changing systems; but that aint saying much

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Last time I checked they have stators, not alternators.
              It may be pedant but the beasts are permanent magnet alternators.
              I believe the stators and regulator rectifiers are the root of most problems.

You can refer to the shop manual or the "stator papers" located somewhere on this site.

Comment

Parts fiches list it as a generator..probably because thats what it truely is doing...generating an AC current.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Not regularly if they lasted 30 years, well it has been 30 years+ which is why the topic is often discussed.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 66corvair,

(Dan, the rally is next weekend. )

What kills the stator and regulator/rectifier is excessive resistance in the wiring harness and charging system. That's why I always recommend cleaning every electrical connection and ground on the entire bike, fuse box, ignition switch, battery posts, the ground strap to the back of the engine, everything. There are a couple of wiring modifications that help too: 1) Take the ground from the r/r unit and connect it directly to the negative battery post. 2) Connect the output wires from the stator directly to the input wires of the r/r unit. These two items, along with cleaning the wiring harness, will go a long way toward preserving your charging system. See the other procedures in the electrical section of my little website.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X