'82 GS650GL saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650GL saddle

I picked up my '82 GS650GL not too long ago and one of the things that I noticed was that while the saddle was locking into place on the rear, the front was missing the brackets that slipped into the connection points on the frame.

I was curious if this had happened to anyone else here and what they did to fix this because I can't quite find a new seat on the internet marketplace.

Thanks!

Originally posted by AJB View Post
    I picked up my '82 GS650GL not too long ago and one of the things that I noticed was that while the saddle was locking into place on the rear, the front was missing the brackets that slipped into the connection points on the frame.

I was curious if this had happened to anyone else here and what they did to fix this because I can't quite find a new seat on the internet marketplace.

Thanks!
    You don't want that seat lifting off! should be easy enough to fabricate some brackets to engage frame slots. see attached pic
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My 82 has seen better days, and I have had to reweld these pieces on at least twice, so I guess it is not unheard of for them to break. If you are able I would suggest welding over bolting as these see a lot of stress and bolts might pull out of the sheetmetal. I welded right on the pan without removing the pad or cover, just have lots of water on hand to cool it down if/when the foam gets too hot.
      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
        My 82 has seen better days, and I have had to reweld these pieces on at least twice, so I guess it is not unheard of for them to break. If you are able I would suggest welding over bolting as these see a lot of stress and bolts might pull out of the sheetmetal. I welded right on the pan without removing the pad or cover, just have lots of water on hand to cool it down if/when the foam gets too hot.
        Yes, this is the best idea,,, but I would use 3/16 dia steel pop rivets and avoid the welding- 3 per side should be adequate, as most of the force is side to side and not up.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My dad and I were able to fabricate mounting brackets out of forged shelf hooks. Both brackets are secured via three torx screws on the center of the seat. I'll post a couple of pics of the repair later.

For some reason, the previous owner of this bike riveted a steel piece about 3" in diameter where the OEM mounting bracket was supposed to be, so we weren't able to get the suggested mount on there.

Regardless, it's really, really sturdy and managed to stay on when he and I were pulling with all of our might.

Comment

Working...
          X