Replacement grips???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement grips???

Looking for new grips for my 82 GS650GL. Saw the Kuryakyn 6235 Metric ISO Motorcycle Grips, they have the throttle tube, however I'm not sure if they will work. Any suggestion, which brand and models work? Thanks

You have a 7/8's bar.

So any grips for that size will work.

Sometimes grips don't come with the throttle tube...sometimes they do.
    You shouldn't need the T-tube piece anyways...unless you don't like it or have a problem with it.

Don't forget Grip Glue!
    (you may not really need it, because some bars have mesh cuts so the grips will stick better to rubber, but glue is only $2, so it's better to not take the risk)

I put superbike grips on my 650g, love 'em!
    I used to have those cheap Foam Cruiser grips, made by BikeMaster or whatever they are called.....not ideal for me, since I only ride around town.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I have the Progrip Gel grips on the GS. Comfortable and reasonably priced.

Comment

Thanks Merc & Koolaid. I have the original throttle tube, so do I need to stay with a replacement that has a tube. I bought a pair of foam grips from vipcycle and the left side went on great and looks good. However, the throttle side split the foam when I tried to intall it over the throttle tube. It also made the grip OD larger and not as comfortable. Any tips for the throttle side? Just wondering, Koolaid where'd you get you Progrip Gels? Oh yea, I regrip my own golf clubs, so here's a tip. I use golf grip tape, so I know the grip will not come off. Thanks

Comment

You really don't need a new tube unless your old one is binding or split or otherwise damaged.
          I got mine at a local shop down in Greenwood, but they are sold everywhere.
          Here is their catalog: http://www.progrip.com/PROGRIP_-_The...1_Catalog.html

Comment

left and right side aren't nessecarily the same size.... throttle grip is slightly larger than the left side

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
              left and right side aren't nessecarily the same size.... throttle grip is slightly larger than the left side
              Corollary: The bars are the same diameter on each side - 7/8". The throttle tube must fit over the 7/8" bar and not bind, therefore it must be larger in diameter.
              The easiest way to tell is to examine both, and try to fit the larger appearing grip on the clutch side. If it slips on real easy, it goes over the throttle tube.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                I have the Progrip Gel grips on the GS. Comfortable and reasonably priced.
                Yes...I have the ProGrip gels on my GS, also...got them from the Motorcycle Superstore...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Progrips are great. My bike came with foam grips, I found them way too soft. Got Progrip 699's Superbike grips - great buy (around $10).

Comment

I just ordered some of these and they are supposed to be here tomorrow. I will have comments hopefully sometime next week. I HEAR they are good grips.
                    ...edit...
                    I guess the link went MIA... It was supposed to be the oury grips.
                    PS, they wont work with the stock throttle grip on MY 650GX
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Left side is 7/8, throttle side is 1"

Comment

Love my Oury grips. Comfy, grippy, inexpensive too.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm getting ready to replace my bent handlebar with an oem replacement. Is it even worth trying to salvage the old grips, or are they next to impossible to get off w/out a razor knife?

Comment

Originally posted by whereiwannabe View Post
                            I'm getting ready to replace my bent handlebar with an oem replacement. Is it even worth trying to salvage the old grips, or are they next to impossible to get off w/out a razor knife?
                            I managed to remove my old grips without cutting them. I used the WD40 trick to snake the spray tube between the handle and the grip and use that to slide them off.

Of course, YMMV.

Comment

Thanks Mister Cinders. I saw that trick mentioned on an older post here (after I posted of course). Will def give it a try but I'm liking the idea of gel-pad grips anyway if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Working...
                              X