Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable question

I replaced my clutch cable yesterday.
    The old one snapped, and I took it off and brought it to a Suzuki dealer. He had a box full of cables, and we picked one identical to the one I had.

It works, but I am a little concerned because it is tightened as far as possible. Both the threads on the engine side and the handle side are as far out as possible, with less than one full rotation before they fall out of the threads.
    Still the clutch handle doesn't engage the clutch until it is almost fully depressed.
    Is there a way to fix this? Can I tighten this by moving the clutch lever on the engine side, perhaps, or is this an indication that something inside the clutch assembly is worn down?

I left home without my manual. Doh...

I will assume this is the 1000. Looking down on the clutch cover, you want to rotate the lever clockwise. You will need to remove the cable, unbolt and remove the lever, rotate slightly, reinstall everything and test again.

Comment

Thanks. Good. It's the 750, but I assume the same applies. I was thinking that was what I would have to do.

Comment

The 750 has a slightly different arrangement. It has a rod that goes through the cases from the left to the right. There is an adjustment screw on the left side the needs to be rotated clockwise.
        here is a pic:

The screw is part 8. It should have a lock nut on it, part 4?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          The 750 has a slightly different arrangement. It has a rod that goes through the cases from the left to the right. There is an adjustment screw on the left side the needs to be rotated clockwise.
          here is a pic:

The screw is part 8. It should have a lock nut on it, part 4?
          Thank you very much.

Comment

Cool. Works. Overdid it at first, which felt good on the lever, but the clutch stayed un-coupled and the engine never drove the wheel, which makes for a pretty pointless bike. Now I have a few threads to spare on the cable, and the lever engages a bit sooner, so thanks, KK. :thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
            X