Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS750E Troubleshooting: Stuck Starter Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS750E Troubleshooting: Stuck Starter Motor?

Hi everyone, just joined this forum after being gifted a 1983 GS750E from a coworker. The bike has been sitting for quite a few years, so I'm doing a preliminary inspection and cleaning. I purchased a new battery, removed the carbs for cleaning, and decided to check if all the pistons are free and not seized. I removed the spark-plugs to get rid of any compression, then if I put the bike in neutral and hit the electric starter all pistons turns freely. Now the odd thing is if I put the bike in gear then try to manually rotate the rear wheel (which theoretically should also turn the pistons without using the battery), it will not move whatsoever. The wheel is frozen when in gear. My only thought is that maybe the starter motor is engaged and wedged in there somehow? Any ideas? On a possibly related note, the bike is rather difficult to shift into gear. Sometimes it clicks right through the gears effortlessly, sometimes it doesn't want to change out of neutral at all. I figured it just needs a clutch cable adjustment, but maybe that is indicative of a bigger problem. Thanks in advance for any insight or assistance, I look forward to getting this great bike up and running soon! Cheers.

It takes a bit more than just a gentle hand turning even without the plugs in. Try to put it in first gear and then hit then starter..bike on center stand of course. if the tranny isnt frozen the tire will turn.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll try that when I get home this evening, but for what its worth I yanked on the wheel with all my strength and it didn't turn. Fingers crossed the bike is fine and I just have extremely weak upper body strength.

Comment

centerstand and 5th gear w/ plugs out.
        it will turn the engine with a little force.
        you will not be able to engage the starter with the bike in gear if the neutral safety switch is still functional.
        i'm sure your bike is fine.

Comment

5th gear with the plugs out worked like a charm with a bit of muscle. Now all I need is a solid weekend of maintenance, new fluids, and polishing and I should have a decent running bike. Thank you for the immediate responses and support gentlemen.

Comment

Just a quick update: cleaned carbs, fuel lines, and tank. Reinstalled the aforementioned, and the bike started right up. A little rough as to be expected after years of sitting but couldn't be more pleased. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X