Swapping handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping handlebars

Yesterday I finally started to swap out the slightly bent handlebars on my 1100ES for one I picked up on eBay. The one on the bike is the original style with the high risers while the new one is the newer version that is flatter.

Old one: http://www.bikebandit.com/1983-suzuk...5995#sch270038

New one: http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fi...1982&fveh=2156

Unfortunately I had to stop pretty quickly as the right hand brake / master cylinder / mirror unit wouldn't port due to the brake line being too short. Not a deal killer as I plan to eventually replace all the brake lines with stainless steel just not this weekend and it will be easy to add an inch or two there.

My question... has anyone else had this issue and might there be similar issues on the lefthand side? (I'm kicking myself now for not thoroughly checking that potential out at the time so that's why I'm asking).

if the new bars are flatter, how come the brake line is now to short, are they wider than the originals? you shouldnt have a problem with the left hand side
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yup, that's exactly the issue... wider.

Comment

For me, I dont mount the front brake or clutch all the way out to the grip ends. I prefer to keep a few inches between the grip ends (inner) and the brake/clutch mounts. I can see bar between the two is what I am trying to get at.

If you havent tried this yet, might get you on the road asap. Also, see if you can get a bit of slack from the clutch cable, and throttle cable. Maybe straighten out the lines somewhere between connection points.

The front brake line ... mine has a bracket attached behind the gauge cluster holding it up tight ... take that out and relocate, and it may give ya some room.

All experiments, proceed cautiously

Jason

Comment

I'll have to check on the brake line bracket Jason but from what I eyeballed with the fairing on and this diagram at Flat Out:

there just doesn't appear to be enough brake line to move it sufficiently far.

Comment

Working...
          X