Will this tachometer cable work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this tachometer cable work?

I found this super cheep tach cable for a 1981 GS850GL on amazon.com but mine is an 82.

Part numbers are different between the two years as far as I can tell. Does anyone happen to know if this will work on my bike?

There is also this one which is the same year of my bike but for the G model. Not L. Part numbers are different as well.

The only real difference in these GS tach cables that is important is the diameter
    of the threads that screw in to the gear head adapter.
    Some are larger than others.
    When mixing heads from different years/models, this is the problem that I encounter a bunch.
    I try to keep one of each in stock.
    Without measuring them, they are roughly 1/2" and 5/8" threads.

Daniel

Comment

I bought 3 of each the other day when Boulevard Suzuki was having their sale and FREE shipping.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks, Daniel. Would it be a reasonable assumption that the 82 GS850G and the 82 GS850GL would use the same tach cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Smellii View Post
          Thanks, Daniel. Would it be a reasonable assumption that the 82 GS850G and the 82 GS850GL would use the same tach cable?
          I don't have an '82 G for comparison, but I can tell you that my '80 G, '81 G and '82 GL can use the same cable.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This site sells cables cheap. Maybe you could see if they sell the same cable to work for both bikes.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Actually, they show a tach cable for an '80 GL and another tach cable that fits '82 and '83. They don't show anything for an '81. Sounds like the ebay one might not fit an '82. They're shown on pages 11 and 12 of the link in the post above.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
              X