Valve shim shuffle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve shim shuffle?

Thanks to Steve...and his presistance on valve clearance checking...my stubborn arse finally checked mine-
    The smallest feeler gauge I had was .038 mm. And I found that I couldn't get this gauge between the cam or shim on any of the valves...
    I proceeded to pull each shim, identify, caliper and record.
    I need to replace all my shims...but if my thinking is correct I only need to buy 3 shims.
    I say this because for example-my #1 cylinder intake was a 2.80...its clearance being >.038 I most likely need a 2.75 shim...which I have on my #2 cylinder intake-
    So I believe I can shuffle my #2 cylinder intake shim to be my #1 cylinder intake shim and so on...
    Thus leaving me with only 3 needed shims-I need two 2.65 shims and one 2.60 shim...
    Is my thinking correct here?

Sounds possible but without knowing what your clearances are for sure it's not a definite. You could do the shuffle now and just leave coins in as replacements for the shims you take out.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you recorded them on your spreadsheet, send me a copy, I will look at if for you this evening when I get off work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can you turn the buckets easily when the valves are in checking position? If so, it's generally considered there is SOME clearance greater than 0. So going down 0.05mm in size will get you in the 0.03-0.10 range.

Comment

The fact that you think you need to adjust ALL of them throws up a red flag. It's possible, but unlikely. Did you have the cams in the proper position for EACH valve? Be absolutely sure what all of the clearances are before you change anything. If your .038 mm guage won't fit in any of them, how do you know what the clearances are? You first have to know what the clearance is, then decide if it's acceptable or not. If there's NO clearance, then you have to create it by using a really thin shim, a test shim. I keep .001 in shim stock in my tool box to use as a guage on the really tight ones. But yes, you can move them around, and it's great that you measured and recorded them.

Comment

Originally posted by kwest187 View Post
            The smallest feeler gauge I had was .038 mm.
            This makes it obvious that you have INCH feelers with metric approximations, so please use the INCH measurements, as that is what was used to make the feelers.

That "0.038 mm" feeler is actually 0.0015".

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

If I go out today I'll try to pick up a metric feeler...had no luck yesterday and the one got was my best choice. the inch equivalent is actually .0010 on the feeler I used...the gauge has two .038mm's one with the .0015 above it and one with .0010 above it. I know a metric feeler would be better, and I will have one for my final spec check...
              I don't think its to unusual for all my valves to be tight...I read on here that they get tight with wear, this bike has 15,000 miles on the motor and I bet dimes to doughnuts that the valves have never been checked-
              If my clearances are less than .038...(which is how I recorded it) then the most they'll be after loosing .05mm off the shim will be .088mm. Which is a tad big...but I'd rather run a loose motor than tight...and they will wear to spec soon enough...but I def. will double triple check my clearances with the new shims, on all valves before reassembly...I still need to order a gasket, so I'll have some time-
              Thanks again for all the responeses...please let me know if there is something else I'm missing-
              GSR rocks!

Comment

Since you have INCH feelers, you should have recorded your results in the INCH row, but that's up to you.

It's real easy to trigger the formulas in the spreadsheet, if your clearance is smaller than your smallest feeler (in this case 0.0015"), just enter a 1 as your measurement and the 'sheet will tell you that it's too tight and suggest the next smaller size shim, once you enter your current shim size.

Keep in mind, though, that it can only suggest one size smaller, as there is no way to tell how much 'too small' your measurement is.

The invite is still there if you want to send me a copy to help you with your shim shuffling.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X