Non-GS: Gasket Goo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-GS: Gasket Goo?

I'm changing my car's thermostat. It mounts horizontally, underneath the horizontal distributor. Access is tight; wires and brackets obstruct access and view. While the thermostat can sit on the tiny ledge in the cylinder head, the slightest tap knocks it out. After 90 minutes, I've not been able to keep the thermostat in the block, get the gasket to align with the bolt hole and get the housing on.

I used small dabs of thick bearing grease to try to keep the thermostat in the block and the gasket on the housing while I assemble it. So far, that isn't sticky enough.

Any suggestions for something stickier that won't be a big PITA if I need to disassemble it again?
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

The dreaded RTV.
    Used sparingly, it can stick while you assemble the parts and it will easily roll right off if you have to do the task again some day.
    And, it actually helps in sealing too.

Daniel

Comment

The housing surface had something on it, that I scraped off. Maybe that was old RTV. I think that I have a tube around here somewhere.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        I'm changing my car's thermostat. It mounts horizontally, underneath the horizontal distributor. Access is tight; wires and brackets obstruct access and view. While the thermostat can sit on the tiny ledge in the cylinder head, the slightest tap knocks it out. After 90 minutes, I've not been able to keep the thermostat in the block, get the gasket to align with the bolt hole and get the housing on.

I used small dabs of thick bearing grease to try to keep the thermostat in the block and the gasket on the housing while I assemble it. So far, that isn't sticky enough.

Any suggestions for something stickier that won't be a big PITA if I need to disassemble it again?

Permatex aviation gasket sealer will work.
        It is thick and sticky as hell even in small thin amounts.
        Essentially the housing will get glued in place with it and you will secure it with bolts,

Comment

Jeep, he was asking for something that was EASY to remove at a later date.
          Thus, my suggestion.

Daniel

Comment

RTV worked. Thanks.
            sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Working...
            X