High Zinc Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Zinc Engine Oil

Hi to all, like most of the members here at GSR I attempt to maintain my ride using what I think is best for it based on fact. This post is not intended to contribute to the on-going chestnut about which engine oil is best etc. I don't know if the brand of oil I am going to mention is available everywhere however, their website has an Australia, NZ and a U.K. listing.

There are engine oils with a zinc (ZDTP zinc di-thiophosphate) level designed to protect engine parts because of its anti-wear properties however, to comply with various legislation requirements and compatibility with catalytic converters the zinc content can vary from 600 ppm to 1200 ppm. It is not always an easy task trying to find out the zinc % in an oil as not all brands list it. Recently I discovered a brand of oil in Australia with a high zinc content of 1480 ppm and formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles.The oil is JASO MA (wet clutch use) and API CG-4/SL rated and is a premium mineral oil. For me these properties are what I want in an engine oil for my bike as I change the engine oil and filter every 3,000 km and being a 15W-50 it is designed for the temperature range I ride in: -5 to + 45 degree C.

I am not involved with, work for, or in any way gaining benefit from the Oil Brand I am talking about here. It is just a product I have found that does the job, seems to do the right thing for my engine and so far I am happy to use it in my ride and wish to pass on the details for others to make up their own mind as to the suitability for their bike. They also list other oils that are suitable for motorcycle use and could be worth a look.

The oil is Penrite MC-4ST 15W-50 Premium Mineral Motorcycle Four Stroke Oil.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-19-2011, 07:37 PM.
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

This guy supplies a link for it in the US but he seems a little confused. I checked the link for RestorationStuff and couldn't find the oil but he says you need to download their catalog.http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/h.../msg00100.html
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Looked at SCA today for that oil. Not stocked. Where in Brisbane are you buying it from and how much?

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KC1908 View Post
        Looked at SCA today for that oil. Not stocked. Where in Brisbane are you buying it from and how much?

Ken
        Hi Ken, you are in luck, its close to you depending on which part of Moggill you're in. Andrew at Aussie Auto in Goodna (Ph: 38181812) ordered it in for me and was very helpful and not at all concerned about only buying one 4lt tub. The cost was $40.95 for 1 X 4lt tub and I will be buying the oil through them from now on, cheers.

P.S. I am not involved with this Store. I rang a couple of oil sellers in my area and they didn't seem too interested in a one 4lt tub order. Andrew however, was happy to do the legwork on it and I will support a business that provides good service.
        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
        X