Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Starting

Good Morning all,

I have recently got myself a GS 500 2004 plate, Having had a break from riding for 3 years thought it was a good step back.

The back has been running fine for a month but this morning wouldnt start! After about 5 minutes of attempting to start the bike it made a tremendous bang and smoked from the exhaust. the Bike still didnt start though!

I'm a bit stuck and would like to get some ideas of the possible causes/solutions and where to start.

Cheers all
    Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2011, 05:54 AM. Reason: typo's!

Originally posted by Das0104 View Post
    Good Morning all,

I have recently got myself a GS 500 2004 plate, Having had a break from riding for 3 years thought it was a good step back.

The back has been running fine for a month but this morning wouldnt start! After about 5 minutes of attempting to start the bike it made a tremendous bang and smoked from the exhaust. the Bike still didnt start though!

I'm a bit stuck and would like to get some ideas of the possible causes/solutions and where to start.

Cheers all
    Welcome! So it was running fine before- cold started well, etc.? Did weather turn colder/wetter? First take out spark plugs and see if they are wet from gas; the bang in exhaust seems to indicate fuel is floating around. Have you done some maintenance, in case previous owner was lazy?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      Yes the bike was starting and running fine until this morning. It started fine in the freezing weather and it was warmer when the bike wouldnt start!

I will take the spark plugs off when I get home and check them.

Cheers for the reply.

P.S No I got the bike from a training centre and it was alledgedly serviced 2 days before I picked it up so thought it would be ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Das0104 View Post
        ... it was alledgedly serviced 2 days before I picked it up ...
        "Serviced" might have been simply changing the oil and filter, and checking the air in the tyres.

The term also reminds me of a joke I have seen a few times:

NO LONGER CONFUSED
        I became confused when I heard the
        word"Service" used with these agencies:

Internal Revenue 'Service'
        U.S. Postal 'Service'
        Telephone 'Service'
        Cable TV 'Service'
        Civil 'Service'
        State, City, County & Public 'Service'
        Customer 'Service'

This is not what I thought 'Service' meant.

But today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had hired a bull to 'Service' a few cows.
        BAM!!! It all came into focus. Now I understand what all those agencies are doing to us.

You are now as enlightened as I am!

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That made me chuckle,

I think I shall be calling a few favours over the next few weeks then to get the bike FULLY serviced and checked over.

Cheers for all the help peeps

Have a good xmas and new year.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Das0104,

A properly serviced bike includes, but is not limited to, everything from properly cleaned carbs, to properly adjusted valves, to tightly sealed air intake system, and a properly serviced charging system. Although a lot of the information in the links below is not specific to the GS500, much of it is applicable at least in a general fashion. You'll also find an active forum for the GS500 at www.gstwin.com (but the guys here know more about motorcycles than anyone on the planet).

So let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X