adjust chain tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjust chain tension

I checked the drive chain slack in my 82 GS450 and there seems to be about two inches of play. I see the two bolts at the end of the swingarm on both sides of the bike. My Clymers manual has not come in yet and i want to take out the slack so I can go on a ride. I have also been experiencing issue where the bike wont shift into neutral at idle and discovered that the tranny wont shift right with a slack drive chain so I would love to be able to tighten it to see if this will fix my problem. The link to the manual on bikecliff's site wont work so I am in the dark till someone here tells me or my manual gets here.

You don't know how to adjust the chain?

Loosen axle nut, tighten adjuster nuts (both sides must match), retighten axle nut. You may have to hold the axle with a screwdriver while the nut is tightened/loosened. You want 1" of slack on the chain (grab with your hand and move as far a possible while measuring). Don't forget to lube the chain with gear oil or common chain lube.
    Last edited by Nessism; 12-23-2011, 05:53 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think what he actually means here is to back off the adjuster lock nuts (32 in fiche) (after loosening the axle nut), then tighten the adjustment bolts (31), evenly. Then re-tighten the lock nuts and finally re-tighten the axle nut.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Loosen axle nut, tighten adjuster nuts (both sides must match), retighten axle nut.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by turkeyroll60 View Post
        The link to the manual on bikecliff's site wont work ...
        The link will work. Follow the directions at the top of the page: Please note that on the files below, especially the larger files, you may need to right-click and "Save As..." in order to download them.

Right-click on the link and chose "Save...as" (Save link as or Save target as, depending on if you use IE or FF) from the context menu. Then save the PDF file to your hard drive. It can take 20 or 30 minutes to download depending on your connection speed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok....I basically went outside and figured it out on my own after feeling really stupid from reading my original post. I will try saving the pdf as per your advice basscliff, thank you. thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

I know it is an old cliche but i will use it anyways..."the only dumb question is the unasked one."
            I have asked plenty of questions that these guys can answer in their sleep but we were ALL newbs at one time. Remember there is probably somebody else that will come along and need the answer to your question.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              You want 1" of slack on the chain
              just found this thread, it is one of the 4 results searching "chain adjust"

the 81 750 manual had .8"-1.2" so 1" is good.

...wondering what 1" from straight/center line is?....put a tape measure 90deg to chain and move chain up/down. if it moves 2" then you are 1" from straight/center line

1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

There is also the question of measuring slack on the center stand or not.

But chain slack won't effect shifting. Hard to find neutral means your clutch cable needs adjusting.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

We’re responding to a 12 year dead thread, but whatever.

I couldn’t find a manual for a chain drive GS450. This if from the 750T owner’s manual.
                  I would imagine the spec is about the same across models. It’s not @1” from center line or @2” total, it’s @1” total slack. At least that’s how I read the graphic and instructions. Maybe I’m wrong. And yes, bike on center stand, according to the manual.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Having the chain with a minimum of 20mm slack is critical. Make the chain tight without the correct amount of slack will create rear suspension problems and over time (if you can stand the harsh ride) will accelerate chain and sprocket wear.
                    Shin-Ken 1074
                    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

I couldn’t find a manual for a chain drive GS450. This if from the 750T owner’s manual.
                      I would imagine the spec is about the same across models. It’s not @1” from center line or @2” total, it’s @1” total slack. At least that’s how I read the graphic and instructions. Maybe I’m wrong. And yes, bike on center stand, according to the manual.
                      Yes, this is "THE" way to do it.

Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

It’s not @1” from center line or @2” total, it’s @1” total slack. At least that’s how I read the graphic and instructions. Maybe I’m wrong. And yes, bike on center stand, according to the manual.
                        so where/how would you measure "slack"?

1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Yes, slack is a vague term. Looking at the diagram, I take it to mean the total movement measured at a fixed point, either the top, pin, or bottom of the chain. Though I suppose one could interpret he diagram as meaning bottom measurement is the bottom of the chain, top measurement is the top of the chain. But with the chain being, what, 1/2” thick. That would only give you 1/2” of movement. And I don’t think that makes much sense.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It's really simple.
                            The chain, on its longest lower run, is raised up by a max of 30mm with the finger.
                            Jeez, how much simpler do you want it?
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I use an old fashioned folding carpenter ruler to find slack measurement. Sits on ground just fine. When tightening I count the number of sides of the 6 sided I turn it to get the proper tension and repeat on the opposite side. I f over tightened, loosen nuts, put the plastic end of a screw driver between chain and sprocket gently rotate wheel to wedge between chain and sprocket. This will loosen chain back up to start over.
                              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                              X